Chapter Thirteen: It All Started at Six A.M.

The very next morning, at six o'clock, on the dot, Sam was in the front room with her running shorts and sports bra on; coupled with black sneakers, and her hair pulled into a tight ponytail. Jack awoke to her bending over; it was a sight that chased away the sleep cobwebs in his brain, and gave him a very hard erection. It was an erotic sight that nearly tore a moan from his throat. She straitened and Jack’s eyes immediately snagged with hers.

“It is six, Jack. Are you ready to go running?” she asked.

Her bare midriff was distracting him from responding immediately. He was in pathetic shape. This woman was going to drive him insane.

“I guess I forgot to set the alarm, let me go to the bathroom and put on some sweats,” he stated.

Sam rolled her eyes and extended her right arm for him to pass her. As he walked up the stairs, she gave an internal sigh. The man had lust written in his eyes, yet he treated her as if she was his little sister. She tried not to feel hurt, but she did.

The wait was short and before she knew it, they were out on the road running in unison. Her muscles protested in an unused fashion, she was slightly out of shape, and she needed to tone and tighten up.

Sam looked to Jack whom was already sweating and puffing in great gobs of oxygen. The poor man needed to start exercising more often. She was about to ask if he was alright, but then thought better of it. They were no longer in a sexual relationship, which meant there was no feeling of affection, nor concern on her part.

Jack’s blood was pounding, and his lungs were burning; he was not in any shape to be running at this God forsaking hour. However, the view of Sam’s bouncing breasts and legs were enough to send him into cardiac arrest.

This was a mistake; he thought.

It was bad enough he had to look at her in her normal clothing, but she was wearing skimpy shorts and a top the hugged her lush breasts.

After the run was over, or when Jack collapsed and begged for a break, they walked back into his apartment, where he promptly fell onto the couch, and Sam went to shower.

Hours later after Jack woke up and showered Sam was ready to go; they left to a local mortuary to start planning her mother’s funeral.

As soon as she stepped foot inside the parlor, she felt immediately sick to her stomach. It was as if the reality of her situation came to her full blast. She was about to plan her murdered mother’s funeral.

Jack looked to Sam and saw that her color had fled from her face. She looked as if she was ready to collapse.

“Sam, are you alright? Do you need a moment?”

She looked into his eyes and said, “My mother is dead, Jack. My mother is deceased, and my father is in jail for her murder. I am here to bury her. She was my mother and we had our problems, but I loved her. I loved her and my father, and she is gone, and I am about to lose my father as well,” she broke down into great sobs of agony, as Jack took her by her waist and set her onto a chair.

“Can we get some water here please!” he yelled at the workers.

Wide eyed they all dispersed to do his bidding; Jack had a very commanding voice, and he was using it to his full advantage. He felt inadequate to the task at hand; he had no idea of what to say to her to calm her down. When his wife expired, words of condolence and sincerity rang oddly in his ears, and instead of sounding helpful he wanted to punch the other person. So instead of using words, he did what he had been wanting to do all morning, he sat next to her and rubbed her back in a soothing fashion.