Chapter One: Sam Moves On

Arresting Love (Sequel to A Bite of Candy Apple; Sams story)

            Three months ago

             Her best friend, Candy was getting married to the love of her life and ex-teacher Mr. Frost. Samantha could not have been happier for them both; however, her life took a down turn since meeting Paul and bringing him back to the United States with her. He seemed to be an English gentleman, but he was not. He abducted Candy and almost killed her. In the end, Candy survived and everyone, but her family and herself forgave her.

            Present day

            Sam stared out the window of the company jet that her family kept for travel; she was on her way to New York for school. She swiped the tear away from her right eye as she thought of Officer Jack Riggs. She had met him as he was carrying her best friend from the tunnels where she almost died. At the time, she hadnât given him a second thought, until she bumped into him on the street. He had asked her if she was alright and Sam being naive told him the truth of her parentâs reaction to the abduction. She explained that life had become unbearable for her at home, she hadnât a moment's peace since Paul was gunned down.

            She took his interest in her feelings as intimate comfort, when, in fact, he was just trying to fulfill a duty, she was precisely a 'project' to him.

            Sam whimpered as she remembered the times they had spent together.

            Their first meeting

She felt her tears gather in force and tried to focus on something else anything else, and she saw Officer Jack Riggs's card on her bedside table. She gulped a huge lump in her throat and reached for her phone and sent a text to the officer. 

Hi, Officer Riggs, this is Sam Cooper, were you sincere when you expressed to me that we could talk?

She waited for a moment and immediately felt stupid; he was just being nice to you.

Of course, why don't we either chat on the phone or meet at the pizzeria on ninth?

She wanted to get out of the house; The pizzeria would be just fine, twenty minutes?

I will see you there.

Sam breathed in a deep sigh of relief; he would meet her.

Sam easily walked down to the garage and grabbed the keys to her red mustang. It was a pretty car that had been purchased for her sixteenth birthday. It was the one and only gift her parents had ever given her besides cash.

She drove to the pizzeria and parked her car; she exited and walked inside; she saw Officer Riggs seated at a table near the back; she walked to him and smiled when he pulled out her chair.

"Thank you for meeting me, Officer Riggs," she stated.

"Please call me Jack and not a problem; I am glad you sent a text," he replied.

Sam nodded her head and looked around. "Candy and I used to eat here all the time," she reflected sadly.

"The pizza here is pretty delicious," he stated.

Sam felt as if she made a mistake, perhaps the trivial feelings she was experiencing were just that, insignificant.

"What would you like to talk about, Sam?" 

"My parents have not let up on me yet. They yell at me every day, for bringing Paul here. Candy has forgiven me, her parents, and Ethan as well. However, they are convinced I am a liar and that will never change."