Chapter Fourteen: Confess

As the hours turned into days, Sam tried to keep her sanity as Jack blew hot and cold. They still ran every morning at six am, and then she would practice her dancing as he slept on the couch after the run. Everything seemed to become routine until she heard Jack swear roundly from his office.

Being a very nosey woman Sam placed her ear upon the door and heard, “This is a mistake, sir.  I understand the assignment was temporary; however, we have yet to garner a confession or found another suspect… what do you mean he has confessed?”

Sam’s heart contracted, was the conversation about her father?

“When did this develop? No, no, I understand. When will the trial be set? Yes, yes, I will inform her.”

She heard his phone snap shut and then, “Shit. Shit.”

She ran away from the door and escaped to her room, her father had confessed to killing her mother?

She heard his footsteps ascend the stairs, with her heart in her throat; she waited for the door to open.

He had to tell Sam her father confessed, and a trial was set. Not only that she could take care of her mother’s body, and her home was cleared for inhabitance. She would be leaving his apartment. That thought alone was enough to seize his heart. It was a foreign emotion and one he did not want to examine too closely. She had become a presence in his home, and he was unsure he wanted to be out of her company.

 He came to her door and knocked soundly.

“Come in,” the whisper was faint.

He opened the door and saw Sam sitting in the middle of his bed with her feet under her chin; she looked forlorn, and he had to wonder if she already knew.

“Sam, we have to talk. Your house has been cleared for you to reside in it again; your mother’s body has been released for burial, and…” he hesitated at the lack of color in her face.

“Your father has confessed to the murder, Sam.”

“Why would he do that? He did not kill her; he must be feeling the pressure, or he has given up or…”

She stopped at the look in Jack’s eyes.

She stiffened her shoulders, and stated, “My father did not murder my mother, Jack. He told me he did not, and I believe him. The police must have something to do with this or the prosecuting attorney.”

At her words, his individual spine stiffened, “Hey; the police do not coerce confessions from suspects,” even in his own voice, he felt the lie. He knew that some bad cops did, in fact, coerce confessions from suspects. He just did not want to be grouped into that category.

Sam felt her own back crack into a stiff posture as she said, “That is the biggest load of bullshit I have ever heard. You know he is innocent, or you would not have helped me search my home. There is something amiss here, and I am going to find out what.”