Chapter Nineteen: Follow the Number's

Chapter Nineteen: Follow the Number’s

As Sam walked from the room, he blew out a breath. Why did she bring up the subject of marriage? He was perfectly content with the way their relationship was. ible, and she needed the He cared for Sam, but marriage? You married someone you loved, not someone you had a serious case of lust over. Yes, there had been moments when he felt he could love her, but in the light of day, he knew he married his soul-mate once before, he did not want to marry again.

So set in his argument, he returned to the paperwork before him. They looked to be bank transactions, large bank transactions, but a family like the Coopers dealt with millions of dollars every day. Hell, if Google was right about Sam, his current lover was worth over two-billion dollars. That though alone set him back on his heels.

Sam sat at the breakfast table with dry toast and a cup of strong coffee. She ate as she opened the little black book that was full of her mother’s markings. It was weird to see her handwriting, when she knew her mother was dead. She was trying desperately hard not to cry over the fact that the father of her baby had no plans on a future with her. She tried to give him a chance to see how perfect they were for each other, and he totaled that chance. She had a though that he loved her, he came close to saying it a few times, but he wavered. She knew he had been married before, but one could love again, that was what the emotion was based on. Love was freeing or at least she thought it was. Her parents married because her mother was pregnant with her, and they clearly had no love for one another. They were made to be together, and that thought brought her a measure of peace. If she and Jack were meant to be with each other a baby should not force them. So that consideration firmly in her mind, she knew she could raise a baby on her own. She had the funds and enough love to give a child. She would love this baby as she had never been loved by her parents. Thank God for Candy, for Sam would have no clue what real love is.

   She had been flipping through the book and had not noticed repeated number change. She looked closely at the script and realized it had been changed at least a dozen times. There was no name by the new numbers. It was very weird. Munching on her toast, she sat for a moment and composed herself. She was about to call Jack’s name.

“Jack!” she yelled.

Hearing fast footsteps from down the hall she swallowed down her nausea.

“Did you find something?” he asked.

“I did, look at these numbers.”

She pointed to the book where the white out had been used at least a dozen times. It was truly weird. Do you see how many times this has been changed? Why would she do that? Do you think this has something to do with the dumped cell phones?

Jack’s eyes seemed to focus in, and he said, “I think your right. I will have to take this down to the lab and see if they cannot clean up the book to find all the numbers that were wiped out.”

Nodding her head she moved from the counter and began to walk into her room. She had not heard Jack tagging after her until she removed her shirt to throw on some real clothes.

Hearing a choking sound come from the doorway, she blushed as she saw Jack staring at her. She knew they had to move and go to the police station. It was wrong to be so sexually charged by just her mere presence, but she was. It was madness. She was upset with him. She should hate him for denying what she felt, and he should be feeling. There was a baby in her belly from him, but her hormones were overruled by logic.

Her breasts were swollen and heaving. She knew she looked voluptuous for her belly was slightly rounded, and her limbs took on flesh. She had not been wearing a bra, and she could see from the heated look in his eyes that he appreciated that fact. She should walk away from him. She should be going down to the police station, but once again, she wanted to be with Jack, for as long as she could.