Chapter 18 - Joey

After more food than she’d consumed in the last week combined, Saryah forcibly pushed her chair away from the table.

“I’m stuffed. I probably won’t eat again until breakfast … Next Thursday.” Alison, Ben’s little sister, laughed at Saryah’s exclamation.

“I know what you mean.” Alison responded. She was twenty and drop dead gorgeous with dark brown hair like Ben’s, but blue eyes like her mom. She was shorter but not too petite, although she had a slim figure. She was funny and opinionated, and Saryah hoped they’d be very close. Ben’s parents were also very opinionated, but in a way that made Saryah instantly comfortable with them. They were thrilled that Ben had managed to “reel her in” as his dad had said.

They all stood as they finished and slowly ambled towards the living room for the gift exchange. Ben had a surprise: Saryah’s present. It was the biggest package under the tree, and Saryah would open it last. The gifts were abounding and they tried to do the exchange in some kind of orderly fashion.

“I have to admit, Ben; you put us in quite a pickle when you called about coming here. We had to run out and find a suitable gift for Saryah. Warning would’ve been nice.” Paula informed him.

“Mrs. Campbell, you didn’t…”

“Paula, please. We’re family! And, no we didn’t have to. We wanted to. I hope you like it.” She smiled broadly.

Alison shrieked at the shoes Ben and Saryah had given her. Her parents had unknowingly given her an outfit that the high heels would match perfectly.

Finally it was Saryah’s turn. Everyone had given each other a gift, and laughter was the word of the day.

“This one’s yours.” Ben’s face was lit up like the tree the gift was near as he motioned for her to come over to it.

“What is it; a couch?” Saryah said with humor in her voice. 

“You’ll have to open it to find out.” He retorted.

“You‘re grinning like the canary that ate the cat.” She said with a chuckle.

The giant box came up to her mid-chest. As she ripped the paper open, no writing gave away the contents. She opened the box with a pocket knife provided by Mike. Inside was stuffed with paper. She carefully removed it to find another box just smaller than the first.

“Ben, what is going on?”

“Keep going, gorgeous.” His voice was taunting and teasing. He was enjoying this a little too much.

“Do you want some help, Saryah?” Alison offered.

“Nope. She has to open this one on her own. It’s a very specific gift.” Ben interjected before Saryah could say anything. She opened the second box, and the third, fourth, and fifth, to find the same thing: A smaller box with paper in it. The sixth was the size of a shoe box.

“Ben, if this is all over a pair of shoes, I get to give you a well-deserved punch in the arm.” She said opening the shoebox. Inside was more paper, but as she took the newsprint out one by one, a smaller box was inside.

A ring-sized box.

She took it out, turned around, and found Ben on one knee. She heard her mom and Paula gasp, Alison clap, and Sonya and Mike giggle and kiss.

“We’re already engaged, Ben.” Her confusion was evident on her face and in her voice.

“I know we are: Don’t ruin it. Here: Can I hold that a minute?” Mike and Vince laughed. Saryah nodded, trying to hold back the onslaught of happy emotions attempting to stream from her eyes. Handing him the ring box, she waited to see what he was going to say next.