Chapter 4 - First Impressions

As Saryah listened to the various speeches, she wondered about the man they were honoring. He looked humbled to have so many honoring what he did. Saryah knew sometimes these guys lived with regret and guilt instead of pride and success. Even living in a military hospital was vastly different from being back home with family and friends. She wanted to talk with him before she went back to Augusta to make sure he was adjusting okay.

He stood up to speak and she, along with everyone else, quieted down.

“I’m very honored, and humbled, by this reception. Each and every person here means the world to me. What we do over there is because of what we have right here. I know...” Ben had to pause because of the crowd’s show of appreciation, “some make the ultimate sacrifice. We do what we do to preserve this, our heritage,” he swept his hand across the room, “for our children’s children, and for their children’s children. Thank you all, again, from the bottom of my heart. I am blessed to call you my family, my friends, and to call Paxton my home! God bless!”

The crowd stood and once again applauded, while the band started playing “God Bless America.”

The refreshments were served after the band finished playing; the community as a whole lined up to shake Ben’s hand, hug him, and give him their sincerest well wishes.

“Ben!” His mom, Paula, hollered out above the crowd. “Come over here and cut the cake, please.” She said with a smile.

“Oh, goodness, it’s not a wedding for crying out loud.” He mumbled to himself.

Saryah, who happened to be next to him, said, “No, it’s not, but they sure are glad to have you home.”

Ben didn’t respond to her. He was too busy trying to get to the cake table. He made short of the cake cutting ceremony and, after serving the first slice, taking a bite, and saying, “Mmm,” he went outside for a breath of fresh air.

It wasn’t that he was unappreciative. He just needed air. Since returning, he’d really only been out in public a few times. Crowds were never his preferred company, even if he knew every single person in said crowd.

He sat on the ground at the edge of the sidewalk, running his hands through the grass. He looked up and enjoyed the feel of the sun heating his face. Freedom felt good. No. Freedom felt great.

Saryah wasn’t sure she should’ve followed Ben, but she did. What would she say? She didn’t know that either. But here she was, intrigued by this stranger/hero. She thought about P.T.S.D. and if that was why he was out here. Maybe he needed time to think, or take it all in. Some of the soldiers she’d helped didn’t deal well with too many people.

“Why are you standing there just staring at me like you’ve never seen me before, Sonya?”

She didn’t know what to say, so she didn’t say anything.

“I just need a few minutes to breathe.”

“Well, I’d say the whole town is very happy to have you home. What about you? Are you happy to be home?” She asked politely, wanting to gauge his emotions.

“What’s it to ya? You’re not my shrink. I had plenty of those at Reed. I’m sure I can call any of those quacks and get better advice. Where’s Mike, anyway?”

“Sorry. I was just wondering. I have no idea where Mike is. And who do you think you are to be such a jerk? There’s nothing but cheerful people inside who wish you well and want you back. I think if this many people showed up to appreciate the fact that I was still alive, I’d be in there enjoying it!”

“Well, thanks for your good intentions,” he said, standing up, “but I’m just fine. I don’t have to justify myself to you or anyone. EVER!” He shouted. He walked back inside without saying anything else to her.

As she watched his retreating backside, she wondered what had gone wrong. Suddenly, it occurred to her that he had called her Sonya. No wonder he asked where Mike was. He and Sonya had also been friends for years. She was tough enough to handle whatever that jerk dished out. Saryah vowed to stay out of Ben’s way while in Paxton.

Ben huffed back inside. He had to put his gracious and grateful façade on so no one else would discover his dour mood. He’d find Mike and tell him to get Sonya under control. He shook the thought from his head. He’d just apologize in a little while. He was suddenly very ashamed of himself for treating her that way. They’d been such good friends before he left. War did horrible things to men’s minds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ben tapped Sonya on the shoulder and nodded behind himself towards a quiet place. She followed him with a questioning expression. What did he want?

“I just wanna apologize. I lost it out there. I’m a bit overwhelmed by it all. And, even though this is real nice of everyone, I don’t really deserve it.”

“Ben, I don’t know what you’re talking about. Why do you need to apologize to me? You made a great speech.” Sonya still looked like a kid lost in the grocery store.

“For outside. When I yelled at you?” Ben said, as she continued shaking her head.

“I guess I forgive you, but I think ...” Ben didn’t let her finish.

“Wait. When did you change your clothes... and your hair? You had it up a few minutes ago? What’s going on here?” Now he was the one confused.

“Ben, honey, I don’t know how to say this... but I think you’ve just met Saryah.”

“Oh, great. What a first impression?! Does she always come off as pompous and know-it-all?”

Sonya laughed. “Only when she’s right! So, you may need to find her and apologize to her. She’s worth knowing, and definitely worth having on your side. She’s a social worker at Ft. Gordon. She helps families reintegrate their wounded soldiers.”

He groaned internally, but didn’t say anything else but, “Thanks.” He hugged her and went to look for Sonya’s twin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saryah found Maura as the crowd was slowly heading for other places and activities. It was obvious she was fuming.

“What’s the matter? You look like you’re ready for a fight.” Maura, placing her hand on Saryah’s upper arm, attempted to calm her.

“It’ that ungrateful man everyone’s so happy to see. He basically yelled at me, even though I was trying to be nice. If I see that ungracious JERK again it will be WAY too soon!” Saryah finished. Maura knew her daughter, and her daughter’s temper. Though not easily angered, she was a hot-headed girl when she did explode. Whatever it was that Ben said to her had her hopping mad and ready to go for the kill. She needed to get her home so she could calm down.

“I’m ready to go if you are.” Maura took Saryah’s arm and walked towards the parking lot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ben walked as fast as he could. He wasn’t brave enough to try to even jog yet. He wanted to catch her before she left and ask forgiveness for being a first class behind. He saw her walking out of the gym with Maura, and almost reached them when the mayor stood in front of him.

“Once again, I want to express how wonderful it is to have you home and safe, Ben. I know you’ve had a hard road, and I know there will be more before everything’s said and done.” Ben tried to look around him to see if they had left, but the mayor wouldn’t let him.

“I appreciate all you and the Community have done for me. I can’t express how much. Hey, I need to catch up to a friend who’s leaving. I’m sure I will see you again before I head off to my permanent duty station. Again, my deepest gratitude.”

He hugged the mayor before doing his best to catch up once again to Saryah. He managed to get out there...

In time to watch their car leave the parking lot.