one // day 1

"This is absolutely ludicrous!" My mother exclaims, pointing a harsh finger at the screen, showing the email Mr. Brass had sent out.

I sigh, knowing there was no excuse for me, and that I couldn't fight back.

My dad watched shamefully from the corner, shaking his head every once in a while.

"This 14 days program sounds excellent, I'm glad your school provides it. I'm sure it'll help you. What made you act this way? You were such a good student before. Are you taking drugs? Drinking?"

Again? "No, mom, I swear I'm not."

"Then what's the reason for this?"

"Nothing, I was just foolish."

"Damn right you were, but there has to be a reason." My mom wouldn't give up.

I gulp. "I don't know." I try again.

"Zara Phillips." My mom says in a threatening tone. I knew I had to tell her now.

"I couldn't focus."

"Why not?"

"All I can think about is Calum." I say shamefully.

"Calum? Who is this?"

"You're kidding me. You remember him."

"That weird kid that threw a cardboard box at your window?"

I make a weird face, wishing she hadn't remembered him like that. "Yeah. That one."

"You're still not over him? You had the entire summer, child!"

"I know, it's not easy." I shrug.

My mother shakes her head. "Your behavior has to be better when your father and I get back from our business trip. We have to go now."

"We love you." My father pitches in, and usually I'd be appreciative of his caring words, but this time it just irritated me more.

"Bye." I mutter, and they echo their goodbyes as they leave the house.

I quickly slurp down the rest of my cereal, and then wash my bowl, before packing all my school supplies in.

*

"Zara! Oh my god, what happened yesterday with Ms. Davison? You didn't answer any of my texts."

"Sorry, my parents had taken my phone away for the night, but I've got it back now, since they're on a business trip."

"You're avoiding my question." She glares.

I sigh. "Don't tell anybody, please." I plead.

"Of course I won't." Jessa says, and I believe her. She never tells anybody.

"Ms. Davison made me do the 14 days program."

Jessa's eyes widen. "Are you officially like, a bad kid or something?"

I shrug. "I don't think of it that way."

"Is it really when they have someone follow you around?"

I nod. "But the boy that's following me around is only like, twenty one years old. And he's hot."

Jessa grins. "That's good. Gets your mind off of Cal and it's something the teachers and your parents will want you to do."

I shrug. "I guess. But it really sucks, seriously. I feel like I'm an eight year old child again, and I don't want anyone at school to know. Do you know what it'd do to my reputation? I don't really care about being the most popular in school, but I really don't want to be known as the school's badass."