twenty five

We fell asleep after our fight. Was it a fight? Or just a bickering? I wasn't sure, but either way, I didn't like it and it seemed to tire both of us out. 

Ashton's arm wasn't wrapped around me like it usually was when we shared a bed. In fact, he wasn't there at all. I woke up in his bed alone. The curtains were still drawn, but I could see the sun peeking slightly through it. The blankets were messed up and all on my side of the bed. 

I rub my eyes groggily and roll out of bed, not bothering to smooth out the crumpled blankets. I tug on a pair of pants, and head straight to the kitchen downstairs.

Ashton's mom is sitting at the table, drinking a cup of coffee, her hair in a low ponytail, glasses perched on her nose, as she's reading a book. 

"Excuse me?" I ask, clearing my throat slightly.

She turns her head to me and gives me a tight smile. "It's nice to see you're awake, Zara." 

"What time is it?"

"It's about ten o'clock, dear. Your flight is at eleven. You may want to get ready now, we will have to leave in about half an hour. Make sure you have everything with you, okay?" 

I nod. "I will, I have everything packed. I'll just change and brush my teeth, eat some breakfast, and we can go?"

"That sounds excellent."

"But where's Ashton?"

I expect her to say that he was in the backyard, or the basement, or out with Lauren and Harry for some ice cream. 

"He's left already, love."

"Wait, what?"

Anne Marie gives me a sad look. "He changed his plane ticket overnight. His flight left two hours ago."

"Is he still going back to Los Angeles?"

She nods.

"Will he wait for me at the airport? Why did he do that?"

"I have no idea if he'll be there, I'm so sorry. And I honestly have no clue why he did that. He seemed flustered and upset, and a little angry. It was a decision he made spontaneously. When I asked about you, he said you knew what to do, and follow your original plane ticket."

I shove my hands down my pockets and find my pocket, and stare at it sadly and absentmindedly.

He purposely left earlier, to avoid me. So it was a fight, at least in his mind.

"Okay, thanks." I whisper.

"No problem. Lauren has something I have to send her to. I ordered a taxi for you, though. I'll miss you so much, Zara. Thank you."

"Thanks for what?"

"Making Ashton happier, allowing him to be who he really is without being scared. I told him America would be a good experience."

"But he doesn't want to keep the souvenir." I tell her sadly, tears brimming in my eyes. I let my hair fall in front of my face so she can't realize the souvenir was me.

She looks at me confused, and I suddenly turn around and run up the stairs. 

*

A hell of a long time and two sessions of crying later, I reach the LA airport. 

I felt depressed. Ashton avoided me on purpose. All because I wasn't ready to move with him to Australia. We hadn't even made it serious yet.

I head over to the conveyor belt to try and look for my luggage. Suddenly, my phone rings. It's Ashton.