thirty one

"Oh, so you're on Michael's side," I accuse.

"Actually, yes I am. He tried to protect you, and that's the way I would've done it too. Maybe changing things on your phone and lying to you crossed the line, but he had good intentions. Ashton doesn't have good intentions. He doesn't care about you anymore, just accept that Zara." Calum sounds tired and done with everyone.

I sigh, having no energy to go on any further. "Fine. Ashton doesn't matter anymore, because I don't matter anymore. I'm going to head upstairs and take a nap, so if you two will kindly escort yourselves out the door, that would be much appreciated."

I start to walk upstairs and I hear the door close.

I reach my bedroom doorway when I hear Luke's voice. "Zara, I haven't left yet, Calum did though. I have Ashton's number. If you really want to call him and talk to him, you can. I think you should. Just be careful, though. Michael and Calum have a really good point, but I don't want to see you broken. If you want to trust your gut instincts and at least have a talk, I'm going to help you."

I smile to myself, and walk back downstairs.

Luke hands me his phone and Ashton's number is on the screen.

I sigh and give Luke a big hug.

I take a piece of paper and jot down the number. "I'll call him in a few minutes, I just need some time to think. Thank you," I whisper.

Luke nods, taking his phone back. Without another word, he turns and leaves the house.

I pick up my phone and dial the number.

However, I find my finger hovering over the green call button for several moments. Did I really want to do this? Am I going to fall into his trap? It had been what felt like forever since Ashton and I really conversed. Did he know we were broken up? There are a million different questions unanswered, and will never have a chance of being answered unless I called. It just seemed too hard, though. I didn't know if I could handle hearing his voice and experiencing the pain that came from his words.

"Zara?" Ashton's voice interrupts my thoughts, making me jump. I look down at my phone and realize that I had called him without realizing. Maybe my finger slipped, but we're here and I couldn't back out of it now. 

I slowly put my phone back up to my ear, my heart beating so fast I felt like it could burst out of my chest at any moment. "Ashton?"

"Zara, you called."

"I did."

"So go ahead and say what you were going to say," he lets out a humorless chuckle.

I bite my lip, feeling my body tremble. "I-I don't know what I was going to say."

"You don't? You really don't?" Ashton asks, sounding like he didn't believe me. He also sounds distant and cold. It was obviously his voice, but it just didn't have the same depth to it like it used to. He spoke to me like I was a stranger. Maybe I was, after all this time without any connection.

"No, I don't really know," I mutter quietly.

"Then I'll just hang up, no need to waste any more time."

"Oh."

"Bye."

"Bye," I whisper, and when I pull the phone away from my ear I see that he's already hung up.

That was an embarrassing conversation, but I didn't really feel humiliated. I felt like I had to try again, despite how indifferent Ashton sounded. 

For about ten minutes, I pace back and forth around my bedroom, wondering if I should call and try again, and actually get my point across this time. What worried me was that he'd think I was clingy and desperate, or worse, he wouldn't even pick up. Calling him wasn't the best idea, but it the only choice I had.

I walk downstairs and sit down on my couch, staring absentmindedly out the window. This was my opportunity, and I couldn't let go of it now. And that was that, I made my decision. I had to do it. There was no way I wasn't going to do it and look back years later and regret it. It couldn't be too bad.

Just then, someone across the street at the park comes into view. The curly brown hair, broad shoulders, and tall stature proved my assumption. Ashton. Perfect timing, this is. I can fix things or at least understand things face-to-face. 

Hurriedly slipping on my shoes, I fling the door open and rush down the steps and run across the empty street. I stop before I reach Ashton to catch my breath and make sure I don't look like I just ran a marathon in front of him.

After I'm able to catch my breath, I walk up to him and I can feel my heart beating against my chest rapidly like it was earlier. I gently tap on his shoulder to get his attention, and he turns around. Immediately, his warm eyes meet mine, but I can practically see them turn cold as he realizes who is standing in front of him. Ashton's also gotten a haircut, his hair swept on one side of his face. The stubble on his chin enhances his jawline, and he's wearing a tight long-sleeved shirt. 

"Ashton," I say, desperate to break the silence.

"Zara," he says slowly, as if he's cautious of what words slip out of his mouth.

"I'm sorry about the phone call not long ago. I don't know, I need to talk to you. I mean it's been so long, and personally I felt really confused with what we have. I mean I broke up with you, you saw that, right? I'm not sure, because some complications came up and your contact got deleted. Anyways, I want to talk to get some things sorted out, understand the situation. It wasn't a good idea to do it over the phone, and I was honest when I said I didn't know what I called you to say, I'm sorry," I ramble, but manage to shut myself up.

Ashton lets out a slight chuckle, but I can't tell exactly what he's feeling. "I don't care about the phone call, Zara."

I wait for him to say more, but nothing comes out of his mouth. I'm left dangling on the edge, confused and tired of holding on. "That's it? I want to get things sorted out, understand the situation?" I repeat.

Ashton shrugs. "What is there to get sorted out?"

"Do you not have any questions at all?"

He shoves his hands down his pockets, taking a seat on the bench. "Not really."

I take a seat next to him, leaving a considerable amount of space between us. "Then I'll ask the questions. What happened when you left for Australia that caused you to ignore me for so long?"

Ashton shrugs, licking his lips. "It's a really long story, Zara. I don't want to bore you."

"You won't bore me, you never bore me." I look at him sadly.

Ashton stares at something in the distance, clearly absentmindedly, for a moment before he speaks. "I never planned on ignoring you on purpose."

"Then what's the reason?" I plead.

"Here's the story."

i didn't want to spill everything this chapter (and not everything will be told to zara next chapter) so i apologize for it being a bit of a filler.

also sorry for the long wait!!

please vote, comment, and share!

bye x