twenty three

"My mum is busy, so I don't think she'll be able to pick us up from the airport. We'll just take a taxi home." Ashton explains to me, as the plane landed one minute ago and everyone is hustling and bustling. 

"That's fine."

"I think she'll be home later today." He says, easily reaching up and sliding the small suitcase from on top of our seats. Some people shove past him, hurriedly trying to get off of the plane.

When Ashton is finally able to move into the aisle, I tiptoe and slide my bag off the top as well, and join Ashton as the two of us walk out of the plane.

I let out a yawn. 

"Tired?" He asks, looking amused.

I shrug. "Just a little bit. I'm not good on flights."

"Ah, I see."

"Could you get our suitcases? I need to go to the bathroom." I mutter, rushing away before even awaiting for his answer.

I find the nearest bathroom and there's one other person in there. I go into a stall and lean my head against the cool, black metal. 

I didn't feel good. I really wanted to sleep, but it was the kind of sleepiness that didn't go away after a nap. I also wanted to throw up, but there wasn't anything for me to throw up. 

I wait for the other girl to finish and leave the bathroom, and once she does, I step out of the stall. I go over to the sink and splash cold water on my face repeatedly, then take a paper towel and dab off the water. It helped wake me up more.

I took a look at myself in the mirror. I had to make the most of this. I was in Australia. This was like a dream. And I was here with the person I loved, meeting the people who had loved him before he was even born.

I sighed, rubbing my temples and leave the bathroom.

Ashton is walking over to me, three suitcases in hand, slightly struggling. "Babe, are you okay?" He asks, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

I nod, giving him a weak smile. "Here, let me hold one of those."

"It's fine, Zara."

"No, it's not. I'm fine, let me help you. Besides, that suitcase is mine."

"You're already holding a bag."

"Yeah, a bag that weighs like three pounds, let me just have that one. It takes no effort to roll a suicase on the floor."

Ashton reluctantly hands my suitcase over to me and I smile. 

"I got a taxi, it's waiting for us outside."

"Oh, that's excellent."

"My mum is excited to meet you."

I raise an eyebrow. "Is she now?"

"Oh, very."

"That's great, I'm excited to meet them too."

Ashton and I find the taxi and we slide inside. 

"How far away?"

"Just about twenty minutes, we live pretty close to the airport."

I nod. "Thank the Lord. I have a bit of motion sickness I think."

Ashton frowns, wrapping his arms around my shoulders. "I'm sorry, Zara."

I shrug. "No, it's fine."

"Alright." He says, leaning back into the black leather seat.

*

We arrive at Ashton's home and it makes me smile.