fifteen

"Are you okay?" Ashton asks, as I've been staring down at my phone for the past couple of minutes. "Do you need me to confiscate that?"

I know he's teasing but I shake my head, irritated.

My phone buzzes again.

Luke: You lied?

Michael: I knew you were in the program.

Calum: That's why it's "complicated"

Olivia: You're in the 14 days program?

Bethany: Please tell me what's going on

Cora: What happened that made you do the 14 days program?

Sydney: I knew you couldn't be dating a cute college boy

The text messages kept coming, and I even got twitter mentions, which I didn't check.

They all stung. Calum's made me want to throw his head against the wall.

Sydney, Jessa's cousin who is a junior, made me want to rip out her fingernails. I hadn't realized that was her the other day. How could I have not realized?

As with everyone else, they just irritated me in general.

Most people didn't have my number nor my twitter, so I hoped they couldn't reach me, although I know sooner or later they will, by finding other connections of mine.

My phone finally stops buzzing repetitively, and I let out a breath.

"What's wrong? That's a lot of notifications." Ashton asks.

"Pretty much my entire life right now, has been destroyed. I'm so stupid, God."

"What happened?"

"Nothing." I mumble, shoving the phone in my pocket, annoyed. I wish he would just go away.

"Zara, why do you always run away from your problems? I can help."

"Actually, you're part of the problem."

"Even better, if I'm part of it, you need to let me help fix it."

"Why do you sound so eager? As if you actually want to help me fix it."

"I do, because I don't like seeing you upset."

"Whatever, Ashton. I'll deal with this on my own."

"No, you're not going to do that. Everyone says that, and most people screw up."

"And I'm in the minority that doesn't screw up."

"You totally just jinxed it."

I shrug, taking my phone out of my pocket and resting it on the island counter.

I rub my temples. "I'll be back, I need to just wash my face and clear my head for a moment." I mutter, pushing open the bathroom door.

I get inside and lock it, so he wouldn't come barging in. I take a look at myself in the mirror and frown.

Jessa was evil.

I run the water and cup my hands underneath it, splashing it onto my face.

I repeat this two more times and then turn the water off, using the towel to dry off my face.

I take another look at myself in the mirror.

I hated this.

How could she ruin my life like that?