twenty one // day 14

[please vote, comment, and share!]

"It's the last day." Ashton says, plopping down on the couch next to me, snaking his arm up my shirt to rest it on my lower back.

I give him a smile. "It's the last day of the program. But just the beginning of us."

"That's right." He leans forward and gives me a chaste kiss.

"What are we doing for the last day? We better make it count. God, everything we do ends up badly."

Ashton lets out a chuckle. "You should've seen how scared you were when we were huddling in the visitor center yesterday."

"I was scared you were going to die!"

"Well, I assured we weren't going to."

"Thank God you were right, Jesus."

"Anyways, we're supposed to have a picnic today."

"Picnics are boring, how do you plan on making it exciting?"

"Oh, that's the thing. We're not going to have one of those summer picnics on the grass and under the tree pictured in kids tv shows."

I raise an eyebrow, intrigued. "Yes? Tell me."

"We're going to have a picnic late at night, on the mayor's roof."

My eyes widen, this was not what I was expecting. "Excuse me, what?"

"You heard me right, and I'm not kidding, Zara. This is serious. We're getting up on the mayor's roof and having a picnic there."

"Whoa, how are we doing this?"

"Just wait and see." Ashton roams his hands around my waist and his bright eyes turn darker.

He pulls me to him and I realize he has other ideas to drive away the impatience for what was going to happen later today.

*

"Okay, I'm sorry, but there's no way I can do this." I say, backing off a little bit.

"Oh come on, Zara, the one who helped me learn how to rebel, says she can't do this?" Ashton teases.

I roll my eyes, gesturing to the building. "Are you serious? This is the mayor's building. We'll get arrested."

"Not if we don't get caught. Don't you want to look back and think about how much fun this was? Would you regret doing it or not doing it?"

"Well, I would regret doing it if I got arrested."

"We aren't going to get arrested."

"Yes, we are. I need to have a future. And hey, remember when you were obsessed with having a great future?"

"Okay, chill out, Zara. We aren't going to get arrested."

"Hey, chill out is my line!" I hiss, lowering my voice.

"Just do it. All we have to do is climb up this fence and flip over it before climbing up onto the wall, because there's a camera over there. Then just walk really carefully on the wall and hop onto the roof. Simple. No cameras on the roof. Get off the same way. I got this all planned out and it's really quite easy."

I look up at the building reluctantly. "No one's in the building? Where are the guards?"

"The guards that work on this side of the building aren't on shift until may ten more minutes, so we have to hurry up."

"When do they leave?"

"In an hour, they switch out people but there's a five minute gap."

"Alright, let's do this." I decide.