Chapter Thirty One

As always, when I was on the court with the final match in my hand, all I could see was winning. I set my goal high and I had to work hard to grab it.

   Both teams were exhausted. Our team was behind them with two points and the game point was 5 more for us. We needed to get this done very quick.

   Collins did a jump smash that had the opponent team fall on their knees. We were 2 more points to the winning. The opponent team smashed the ball and our points were even. They did the serve but it was apparently too far from the court.

   One more. We could do this. One more.

   The ball came to me. The crowds went wild. My muscles became numb. My brain felt like stopping. But I jumped anyway.

   And I landed on my feet.

   I, Ben Miller, was the captain of the volleyball team and I scored the last point for my team in our final match.

   The crowds went even wilder. My mates came running to me, they hugged me, they messed my hair, they shouted at me. They lifted me up.

  I felt the euphoria from up here. I felt the scream heaving as I tried to look for air for my lungs. I felt the drums beating in my chest. I felt the excitement. I felt the happiness. And I felt the winning. We were the victory of our last game. And I felt the pride.

   I threw my fist into the air as my mates kept carrying me around the court. Blue and yellow conffetti fell to the ground and in the air. The crowds were still cheering and I looked at Valerie who now was jumping excitedly next to her dad and I saw Kim and Dad shouting my name.

   My mates put me down and I ran up the stairs to the tribune where I could find Kim and Dad.

   "Ben!" Kim shouted at distance. She ran to me and threw herself at me. I knelt and wrapped my arms around her small body. "You won! You won, Ben!"

   "I know," I answered, smiling. "Thank you. We wouldn't have if you had not been with me, Kim."

   She pulled away and I saw Dad in front of me, with blue polo shirt, he looked young and fresh.

   I stood up to my feet, smiled at him, and hugged the hell out of him. He chuckled and hugged me back real tight. "What a game, son," he said. "You make me really proud."

   I smiled, just not knowing any words to express my happiness. "Thank you for coming, Dad," I replied and pulled away. Dad smiled proudly at me.

   "Cop Steve let me out for this game. For you," he said. He laced his fingers with Kim's. "Run to Valerie now. She has helped you when I was not there. She deserves the best from you."

   I smiled at Dad and Kim for the last time before heading to where Valerie and her family sat.

   When I saw her and she saw me, she waved her hand and flashed me her smile. And I got my strength back.

   I walked to her and greeted her dad and her mom. Her mom and dad congratulated me and let us talk.

   For one moment after I won, I wanted to win her over too, so I kissed her. A suprise, winning kiss that made everyone cheer and the spotlight was turned on and pointed at us.

   I pulled away and everyone was still cheering. It was an unforgetable moment. I went downstairs and met up with the 1st place trophy. I hugged all my mates and Mr. Jo. I felt so grateful to have them all. Then we shook hands with the opponent team. We took photos with the trophy and Valerie took photos of me alone holding the trophy, with Kim and Dad, and with her. And with everyone.

 It was the day my life became complete again. It was the day I won for the last time for my school. It was the day I would feel this exciting euphoria ever again. It was the best day of my life.