Chapter Twelve

The sun was going down as it was four forty-nine. The drive to the secret place I was taking her to was full with laughter, talking, laughter, more talking and more laughter. We talked and joked about everything and I wanted to ask about Isabelle but I was too afraid that it would sadden her. Seeing her happy smile like this might broke into a sad expression. The happiest people are sometimes the broken ones and I couldn't imagine the broken version of Valerie.

  "Valerie," I said.

  "Yes, Ben?"

  "Are you worried about Isabelle?" There, I finally asked it.

  I glanced at her but her smile was still there, on her face. "Worried in what way?"

  "In every way."

  She breathed in then exhaled. "You know, living with Isabelle, in our family, is never a problem. But her cancer is." She paused, glancing at me. "I'm never worried about Isabelle because I know she's going to be okay. She's the one who worries a lot. She's worried that she spends our parents' money on her that Mom and Dad can't even pay for my school..." I wanted to say something but she cut me off. "That's why I worked as a coach assistant. I use the money he pays for my school so that Isabelle won't be worried anymore."

  There was a silence filling my car. I couldn't think straight. The whole thing happened in Valerie's life was worse than mine. At least, I had a scholarship to help me.

  "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked," I said.

  "It's okay, Ben. I have always wanted to get this pain out of my heart but no one asked."

  "So, is it just the same thing that Isabelle wants to die?"

  I glanced at her and she nodded.  From what Valerie had tol me, it was pretty obvious that Isabelle wanted to die so that her family didn't have to spend all their money on her. I let the silence hit us again. I wouldn't let her drown in sorrow so I let her be quiet until we got to the destination.

  "Ben!" shouted Valerie, making me jump. "You're taking me to this carnival?"

  "Oh, my God! Don't shout!"

  She bursted in laughter and held my shoulder after I parked the car. "Sorry."

  "Is there any problem if I'm taking you here?"

  "No!" she shouted again, squeezing my shoulder. "I've always wanted to go to this carnival so bad and you make my dream come true."

  I laughed. "I'm flattered, then."

  She frowned. "Ugh, don't be." I laughed again and we got off.

  We walked together and I bought the tickets for us. She took my arm as we walked inside the carnival. It was really really crowded yet it brought a big smile for Valerie. At the edge of the road we stood on was many booths, food carts and tents.

  "So, what do you want to do first?" I asked the girl beside me.

  She looked up at me. "Do you feel like eating?"

  "That's a wonderful idea," I said, remembering that my stomach grumbled a lot.

  "Great!" she chirped. She took my hand, pulled me to a hot dog cart. 

  The smell of hot dogs made my mouth water. But seeing the long queue made me want to kill the people waiting in front of us. "Patience, Captain," she said, giggling, like she could read my mind. "It won't be long." She hugged my arm and rested her body on mine. I loved the way she did it.

  As she hugged my arm and we waited in a long line, I looked around. Kids running around and parents chasing after them, kids eating ice cream, holding teddy bears, couples holding hands, kissing, grandparents sitting on the bench.