Chapter Thirteen

I leaned back to my seat, still holding her hand. I waited for her to think for a moment. "Sorry," I said quietly. "I'm not good with words."

 She squeezed my hand and our eyes met. She stood up in front of me, slipped her hand in the back of my neck and kissed me. I kissed her back and she kissed me back. And all over again. I forgot everything. I forgot about my sister. I forgot about our position. I forgot about the dark night. I pulled her into my arms and sat her on my lap. I thought to myself, this moment in the ferris wheel was worth the wait.

 "I like you, Ben," she whispered into my ear.

  "I know."

  "How do you know?"

  "I have a true informant."

  When we reached the ground and got off from the ferris wheel, rain started pouring down above us, without giving us a chance to find a shelter. 

  "Oh, my God!" said Valerie with a laugh. I took off my jacket and put it on Valerie. "No, Ben. It's okay."

  "I insist." I grabbed her hand and we ran towards my car.

  We got on my car with our soaked-with-rainwater clothes, especially me. The rain was pretty heavy and it made all the carnival visitors run, find a shelter or whatever.

  "Ben, the seats are going to be wet," said Valerie.

  "It's okay." I turned on the heater and I had no idea how to dry my clothes. I got no towel in my car. "We should've brought an umbrella. Is it okay with you that we go home like this?"

  "Of course, it is okay," she answered and by that, I started to feel cold. "Are you going to be okay with your wet clothes?"

  I nodded.

  I took Valerie home and picked Kim up. I promised Valerie to call her tonight so when I got home, I tucked Kim in, showered with hot water, dressed with the warmest clothes. I had to be warm now because I had been really cold on the way home. Let's just hope, I wouldn't catch a cold, again.

  I plopped down on my bed, pulled up my blanket and grabbed my phone. After I dialed Valerie's number, I pressed my phone against my ear and waited her to pick up. On the second ring, she picked up.

  "Hello!" she chirped. "You did call." I could hear her big smile through this phone.

  "Of course, I did. I won't break my promise," I said. "What are you doing now?"

  "I'm just making my bed. Kale and Dave did a pillow fight on my bed while I was gone and they made a pretty bad mess." I laughed. "God, they think I'm their maid." I laughed again. "What about you?"

  "I'm just laying down, hoping I won't catch a cold for tomorrow."

  "What's tomorrow?"

  "My first nation practice. Did you forget?"

  "Oh, right. I thought tomorrow was still Sunday." She chuckled and I smiled hearing it. "I told you, you should've dried your clothes first in my house."

  "No, I'm fine, though."

  "You are so confusing, Ben!" she chirped, laughing and I joined her.

  "I'm cool like that."

  She laughed again and I bet she shook her head now. "Where's Kim?"

  "She's turned in early. She's probably tired after a long day with her friend." I rolled on my bed and curled under the blanket. "I'll pick you up tomorrow and we're off to the court together. How does that sound?"