Chapter 4~ Dinner and a Song

***

  The final bell rang. I grab my bag and made my way to the parking lot. There, waiting for me, was a very eager Vicky in her red convertible mustang. She pulls up and smiles at me.

  "Get in loser we're going home," she says.

  We drive to my house and talk a bit about the party. She agrees to lend me one of her dresses because my wardrobe is too "decent" for what this party has in store. We pull up beside my dads beige Porsche. I open the door to leave, but she stops me before I can get out.

  "Have fun tonight. Celebrate extra hard for me," she smiles and winks. I smile back and nod before closing the door. She puts the car in reverse and I wave slightly before making my way inside. I open the door using the spare key I have under the mat. I let my bag slide down my arm and land on the floor. I run giddily into my dad's home office.

  I wait at the doorway and watch as he sits hunched over his desk working on some files. I cough to alert him of my presence. He looks up immediately and smiles brightly. Whatever he's working on becomes forgotten and he rushes over to greet me.

  His tall 6 foot frame hovers over my petite one. His brown hair was messy and stray strands were sticking up in random places. His sapphire blue eyes sparkled when he looked at me. He put an arm on the small of my back and lead me to the front door in a hurry.

  "I've had the day off to ensure if be here before you. I let Lacy out earlier so she should be fine while we're out I dinner. Tonight it's all about spending time with my little girl," he says excitedly.

  "Woah dad what's the rush?" I ask.

  "Nothing. I just want to go and spend time with you. The office has been really busy lately and now I finally have some time for you."

  My dad is a doctor. One of the few in town. He's usually busy with appointments, but I'm glad to hear that he took some extra time off. I usually worry that he would over work himself and the stress would give him a heart attack.

  "Where do you want to go?"

  "Angel's Family restaurant. It's tradition," he replied as we get into the Porsche. I fidget with my seatbelt for a minute before replying.

  "Alright let's go," I say enthusiastically. He gives me a warm smile and pulls out of the driveway.

***

  "Oh God," I moan. This is amazing. I shove another forkful in my mouth and savour the taste. I freaking love cheesecake. My dad looked up at me with a smirk.

  "Someone loves their dessert."

  I don't reply but nod enthusiastically. I'm not using my mouth for anything other than eating the cake. I also don't want to waste time talking that could be used to eat more. He puts his fork down having finished his chocolate cake. He leans back in his seat. I swallow my last forkful and push the plate away from me. I take look into my dad's eyes and he gives me a sad smile.

  "I wish your mother was here to see what an amazing young woman you've grown to be," he whispers. The aura of happiness that surrounded us is soon replaced by one of sadness.

  I offer him a sad smile and take his hand into mine, rubbing my thumb over his knuckles. "I know. I miss her too. She was an amazing mom and better than my birth mom from what I'm told about her." He opens his mouth like he's about to say something but doesn't.