Chapter 1~ Before It All Began

Dedicated @latoyacosta for inspiring me to write this book and for being my best friend and having faith in me. You are amazing and I have no idea what I would do without you!

***

One month prior to the first note~

This is it.

This is the year everything changes.

I've been telling myself these exact 6 words over and over again ever since my dad pulled in to my high school parking lot.

Today is the first day of my last year of high school. I'm officially a senior.

This is the last year before we go off to college. Our last year of seeing each other every day. This is the year that could make or break us. This is the year I've been looking forward to for who knows how long.

I have established plans to go to the same college as Jace and Vicky. The whole long distance relationship doesn't work, so we thought it would be best to go together. But for now I have to focus on getting through this final year before I can think of college.

I adjust the rear view mirror and check my appearance one final time. My blonde hair is pulled back into a high ponytail with some loose strands framing heart-shaped my face. My bright blue eyes are outlined with black eyeliner to make them pop. I'm as ready as I'll ever be. With a deep breath to steady myself I exit the car.

"Have a great day," my dad beams.

"Thanks dad. You too," I reply with a bright smile.

I'm not typically one to get nervous on the first day of school. I was excited. Ecstatic even. I haven't seen my friends in a couple weeks. I've been off traveling around Europe with my dad. I've prepared myself for the onslaught of questions that will more than likely come my way when I step into the building. Once I reach the door that separates me from them I don't hesitate to open it.

The halls are filled with both students and teachers. There are so many people that there isn't much room to walk. As I make my way towards my locker multiple questions as to how my summer are thrown at me. I reply to every question with the same answer; it was awesome. I don't want to go into detail with them. I just want to find my friends.

I reach my destination. It's the same rusty maroon locker with a smiley face etched into the metal that I've had for the past three years. I enter my combination absentmindedly and allow the door to swing open. Suddenly, a hand grazes against my forearm. I jump backwards and unintentionally slam my locker shut. A deep throaty chuckle erupts behind me.

A breath I didn't know I was holding escapes my mouth. I can feel a hand holding my lower back firmly to keep me steady.

"I missed you," a deep voice whispers in my ear. I slowly turn around. My gaze is met by a pair of shimmering emerald green eyes. I roll my eyes at my boyfriend, Jace. Before I have the chance to say a sarcastic comment his lips crash onto mine.

My arms wrap around his neck and my body melts into his. Unlike all the other kisses I've had in my life, which were awkward, this one is full of passion. Jace is the only person who has ever made me feel like this. Like I'm needed. I don't know how long we've been like kissing, but a giggle causes us to break apart. Now with us is a crazy brunette (who is also my best friend) named Vicky and her current boyfriend Bryan.

Unlike my two best friends, who are very social creatures, I didn't have many friends. I'm not a very social person. I spent more time reading books than I did in the presence of others. But these few people were my closest friends and u wouldn't change that for the world. These are the two people who mean the most to me and the people I've want to see since my plane landed.