Chapter 1: Your Eyes Leave Me Breathless

I was in my local music store, which I practically lived at, in Lodi, California looking for Cheshire Cat by Blink-182 to complete my collection. I had been on a search for the physical copy for about a month. I glanced quickly over to the guys next to me. My eyes lit up when I saw what was in his hands. Cheshire Cat by Blink-182. I looked up at him. He had shoulder-length straight brown hair, greenish eyes, gauges, snakebites, a lip ring, piercing above his upper lip, a nose ring on his right nostril, and an arm covered in tattoos, which he black tank top showed off nicely. He had on a bit of eyeliner around his eyes, chipping black nail polish, skinny jeans, and black sneakers. I smiled. Most girls would have found him ugly, but I had always liked piercing and tattoos. It showed that the person had the guts to announce to the world that they were different and not afraid to show it, which is the exact reason why I also had a sleeve and a nose ring. 

“Excuse me,” I said. The guy looked up from the racks of CDs and focused on me. He smiled back at me. “Was there another one of them?” I questioned pointing to his CD. I moved a piece of wavy brown hair out of my face and looked up at him.

“No sorry,” he replied. He didn’t look back to the rack of CDs just yet though. “You like Blink?” he questioned.

“Of course! I’ve like them since, like, middle school,” I answered. Blink-182 was the basic of punk music. They were what got me into the punk scene as a kid.

“Same. Travis Barker’s why I started playing drums,” he told me. I had never met a person who liked Blink-182 as much as I did. Not even my best friend, Chris, liked them as much as me.

“That’s cool. I used to want to play drums, but my mom had enough on her hands without me playing the loudest instrument ever” I responded. It was so easy to talk to him for some reason. I had known him a matter of minutes and I had already told him that my mom had issues.

 “Maybe I could teach you,” he suggested like it was no big deal. The way he talked was like we had known each other for ever and I was totally fine with that because it felt like we known each other a lot longer than 5 minutes.

“That’d be cool,” I commented. He looked into my chocolate brown eyes adn we were silent for a moment.

“You know what I just realized? I just offered you drum lessons and I haven’t even introduced myself yet. I’m Cory,” he told me. When he said that it hit me that the only thing I knew about him was that he liked Blink-182 and he was a drummer and I had just had a whole conversation with the guy.

“Maria,” I replied. We kept smiling at each other for awhile until his phone buzzed. He pulled it out of his pocket and looked at. 

“I didn’t realize what time it was. I gotta go, but maybe we could listen to this together sometime,” he suggested holding up Cheshire Cat. 

I smiled. “I’d like that,” I replied softly. I watched him walk to line realizing that I had no way to contact him after this. I didn’t want to be pushy and ask for his number, but I really wanted to see him again. I finally decided that I’d let him pay for his stuff and if he was going to leave without talking to me again, then I’d run after him.

“Hey,” someone said from behind me a few moments later. They tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around to see Cory standing in back of me. I felt like I might break out in a dance I was so happy. “I just realized that we can’t listen to this together if I don’t have you number,” he explained holding out his phone, which had a new contact set up on the screen with my name already in it. I smiled, took the phone, and put my number in.

“Um...I’ll call you,” he told me and I watched him leave with his bag bouncing against his leg. I smiled and went back to looking at the CDs.