Chapter 2: It Seems Perfection Is Made Up

The next day I was sitting in my apartment with Chris and his boyfriend Matt. Chris and I were roommates because neither of us could afford to live by ourselves and Matt stayed over a lot. I had no problem with it, but it made me think about how lonely I really was. I had three friends: Chris, Matt, and my other friend Lilly. I had never had a boyfriend. I never really wanted one, though. Love had never been easy for me. 

"I was thinking all three of us could do something together tonight," Chris suggested as my phone rang. He always tried to include me on their dates, but going out with 2 gay guys was never really the most amazing situation in the world. People stared and I just felt like the odd one out. 

I looked down at my lit up phone. It was an unknown number. I was about to hit decline when I remembered Cory. I smiled at the thought of him and hit answer. 

"Hello," I greeted hoping that it was Cory on the other end and not someone I really didn't know. Chris eyed me from the couch.

"Hey, Maria," Cory's voice responded. My smile got wider making Chris raise his eyebrows. I saw Matt mouth something to Chris and Chris shrugged. 

"Hi," I replied. I shifted positions on the couch. Chris and Matt were still staring me down. God, the could be annoying.

"So...um...I was wondering if you were maybe free today maybe," he stammered nervously. Thankfully I was off work today and tomorrow since I didn't work on the weekends.

"Yeah," I responded. My smile just seemed to get bigger and Chris and Matt seemed to get more interested. I almost got up and went to my room to avoid their stares.

"Cool. Do you want to go out for dinner of something?" he questioned. I played with the hem of my shirt. Dinner with Cory sounded amazing. It would get me out of a three-sided date with Chris and Matt.

"I'd love to," I answered. I told him my address and he said he's pick me up around 6. We hung up and I put away my phone. 

"Who was that?" Chris asked in a sing-song voice. He stood up and took his empty glass to the sink in the kitchen. Our apartment had one of those open floor plans where everything was connected, so I could still see him.

"This guy I met at the music store yesterday," I responded. I took a sip of soda and looked at him. A smile appeared on his face.

"You met someone! What's his name?!" Chris exclaimed. He ran over to me and wrapped his arms around me excitedly. 

I laughed at his over excited behavior and hugged him back. "His name's Cory,” I told him. I was pretty excited, too. Every other guy I had met in the last year had never called me even after asking for my number. Now I had to just try and not screw it up.

“Awesome! What’s he like? Is he cute?” he rambled. He seemed more happy than me. He had always wanted me to find someone.

“Well, I think he’s cute. He’s like punk cute, if that makes sense. He’s a drummer and he likes Blink-182,” I explained. I realized that I didn’t know much about him. I didn’t even know his last name.

“I’m so glad you found someone,” he exclaimed and hugged me again. I laughed and hugged him back again.

“Don’t get ahead of yourself; it’s only one date,” I told him. My comment seemed to bring him back to reality. It was only one date. After he dropped me off tonight, he never had to call or text me again.

“Yeah, but he sounds like a really good guy for you. Let’s keep things positive, Ms. Negative,” he joked rustling me hair. 

He was right, of course. I should try to be positive. I had never gotten anything out of being negative.