Chapter 3: You Fell In Love

At 6:02 I heard a knock at the door from my room. I way staring at two pairs of shoes trying to decided which one to wear. It was between my striped Vans slip-ons and my purple sandals. As soon as I heard the knock, though, I threw down the Vans and pushed my feet inside of them. I clearly didn't have time to put on the sandals especially because I wanted to make it to the door before Chris. I knew if Chris got to him first he would try to play twenty questions with him.  

I ran out of my room about to yell "I got it," to see Chris had already answered the door and told Cory to sit down. He was asking him something about a jail record when I walked in. I rolled my eyes. Poor Cory. He just came here to pick me up not be grilled by my best friend about if he had ever been arrested. 

As soon as I entered the room Cory stood up looking relieved to be saved from Chris's questions. "Hey," Cory greeted flashing me an adorable smile. 

"Hi," I replied. I grabbed my purse and started towards the door. "We should probably get going," I suggested in a lame attempt at getting Chris to stop asking so many questions. 

"Yeah," he agreed with a nod. He started to head towards the door and Chris followed. I knew he just wanted to trying to make sure that I wasn't going out with a crazy person, but Chris could be quite over the top. 

We walked out the door and I closed it behind us. "Sorry about that" I apologised as we walked to the elevator. I gestured to back to the apartment. 

"No problem. I can tell he just cares about you. He's your friend I take it?" he questioned as he hit the down button on the elevator. 

"Oh, yeah. Chris is my best friend. If your thinking were together or something, we're not. Chris is gay," I responded playing with the zipper on my purse. I almost laughed. If you couldn't tell that Chris was gay just by talking to him, then you most likely had serious mental issues. The gayness just oozed from him. I was totally fine with that, though. 

"I figured. I didn't want to ask and be wrong, though," he told me with a shrug. The elevator arrived and we got on. My stomach churned with nervousness. I couldn't remember the last time I had gone on a date. I wasn't even sure how to act. 

"So, where are we going?" I asked curiously. I turned to look at him as he press the level one button. Could he get any cuter? He had on a black t-shirt one that said Memphis May Fire on it in white, skinny jeans, and the same black sneakers he was wearing yesterday. 

"It's a surprise," he replied with a grin. He stepped out of the elevator as the doors slide open and I followed. I was suddenly a little nervous about this date. I mean, I barely knew this guy and he wouldn't tell me where we were going.  

We got in his car and drove away. We were silent for awhile until he finally spoke. "So, do you work?" he questioned. He glanced over at me quickly. 

"Yeah. I work at Bath and Body Works in the mall," I responded. I actually really like my job. It's actually where I met Lilly. I like sampling all the difference scents when business was slow and helping men buy gifts for their wives. It was fun. 

"Sounds fun," he commented. He went silence again. "College?" he asked simply as he stopped at a red light. 

"Yeah, I graduated last year, I just haven't found a job yet," I replied a little sadly. I had been looking really hard for a job and I couldn't wait to be making more than minimum wage, but no one was hiring or at least they wouldn't hire me. 

"What'd you major in?" he asked speeding up again as the light flashed to green. He moved his tattooed arm on the arm rest making it brush against mine and I felt tingle go up my arm. 

"Education," I answered. I had always wanted to teach little kids since I started babysitting my little cousins when I was 12. I really wanted to teach kindergarden or first grade, but I had been looking for a job for a year and at this point I would take grade. 

"Awesome," he commented. I had a feeling he didn't know what to talk about, which was mutual. I had no experience in the dating world. 

"Do you work?" I asked. I stared out the window as the trees passed by. I literally had no idea what part of the town we were in or where we were going. 

"Sort of. I'm a drummer in a band," he responded.

Suddenly, I saw a building emerge from the mass of trees that we had been passing. It looked like a restaurant. He pulled into the parking lot and turned off the car.  

"Where the hell are we?" I questioned as he opened his door. We both got out and I awkwardly looked at this random restaurant that just suddenly seemed to appear out of nowhere in the middle of a highway. I felt my stomach churn anxiously at the thought of eating dinner with him. I was happy to finally be going on a date, but I was kind of nervous. If we couldn't even come up with things to talk about in a car ride, how the hell were we going to get through and entire dinner? 

"This is one of my favorite restaurant," Cory explained. He started walking towards the door and followed obediently.  

He paused at the door to hold it open for me. "Thanks," I told him as I walked in. He gave me a warm smile and followed me in. I looked around at the restaurant. Nothing too fancy. Just a small place with a few booths and tables scattered around. I liked it immediately. I don't know why, but it felt homey in there and that was something I hadn't felt since I was five. 

We were seated and given menus. After a few moments, a waiter came to the table, introduced himself as Tom, and took our drink orders. A few minutes later, he came back with our drinks on a tray and asked us for our food orders.  

"So, being in band, does that mean you tour a lot?" I questioned after Tom left. I interlocked my hands and rested my chin on them.  

"Yeah, we've been off for awhile because we're writing a new album, but for the most part we tour most of the time," he responded toying with the salt shaker.  

"What kind of music do you guys play?" I wondered. I stared at him as he continued to play with the shakers pretty excellently, I might add; he hadn't spilled any of the tiny grains on the table yet.  

"Post-hardcore, I think it's called," he replied with a shrug. "The more common term is screamo," he added. He put the salt shaker down and looked back at me with those beautiful brown eyes. 

"Oh. What's your band called?" I asked. I guess he expected the term "scream" to turn me off to him, but I actually respected that type of music. It got the most shit out of any genre. Just to like or play that type of music, you had to be ready to endure everyone calling you "depressed" or "suicidal." I actually liked some screamo, too. I wasn't big into it, but there were a few bands like that I listened to. 

"A Skylit Drive," he answered. He was still looking at me with those eyes and felt like I my insides were going melt. 

"I like it," I told him with a smile. It had a ring to it. A Skylit Drive. It made me think of a starry night sky for some reason. 

He just nodded. We somehow found something to talk about for the rest of the dinner and I found myself liking him more and more every second that he talked. When the check came around, I was truly disappointed that the night was almost over. We had been in the restaurant for over an hour, but it felt morel like a few minutes. 

He got up out of the booth and gestured for me to follow him. When we got to his car, he started it up and drove away, but he was going the opposite way of my apartment. 

"Where are we going?" I asked feeling panic rising in my chest. All those "stranger danger" warnings from my first grade teacher came back to my mind.  

"It's a surprise," he told me with that devilish grin of his. I shook my head and smiled back. I was half excited and half nervous for this. I was starting to trust him, but I barely knew him. Something told me I might regret this later.