Chapter 11: See You Around

The next two days went by faster than I could ever imagine. My dreams had stopped since I told him and it felt nice to finally be getting a whole night’s sleep. I couldn’t remember the last time I had slept really good.

I had decided to sleep over Cory’s so I’d be there right before he left. I woke up to the sound of his alarm in his arms knowing that this would be the last time I would be able to wake up like this for a while. As soon as I heard his alarm, I knew this was it. In about an hour, he would get on a bus and wouldn’t be back for two months.

“Good morning,” he said kissing the top of my head. I moved my head up and kissed his lips. I was going to miss him so much. How was I supposed to deal without him?

He rolled out of bed, grabbed some clothes, and went into the bathroom. I heard him start the water. I spread out on his bed and took in the room. I was going to miss his apartment. I had spend so much time there lately that I felt like I lived there. I decided to get changed before he came out and exchanged my oversized t-shirt and shorts for a tank top and skinny jeans. I entered the kitchen just as he was getting out of the shower.

I found some eggs and bacon in the refrigerator and decided to make him a nicer breakfast than Poptarts. Yes, I was actually going to touch the bacon. I scrambled the eggs and put the bacon in the microwave. For a guy living alone, he actually had nice selection of food and owned some pretty good cookware. 

By the time he was done getting dressed and had come out of the shower, I was finished making everything and had it on the table.

“What’d you make?” he asked. He pulled out his chair and sat down eagerly. He dug before I could answer causing me to laugh.

“Bacon and eggs,” I replied even though it was obvious that he would’ve eaten anything. I dug into my own eggs and watched in amazement as the food on his plate disappeared.

“You didn’t have to make me anything,” he told me. He slowed down his eating suddenly. “You made bacon? Are you sick or something?” he asked with a chuckle. Cory knew all about how opposed I was to eating meat. I tried to avoid it all costs, but I thought this one time wouldn’t kill me.

“That’s how much I love you. I would even touch bacon for you,” I joked with a smile. He smiled back. There was a lot of truth in that joke. I would’ve done almost anything for him.

After a few moments, his phone buzzed in his pocket. He pulled it out with a sigh. “They’re here,” he announced standing up and pushing in his chair. We made our way downstairs with all his stuff.

Their tour bus was already waiting when we finally got to the ground level. The rest of the band, who I had yet to meet, was outside of the bus obviously waiting for Cory.

“You must be Maria,” said one of the guys. He had short red hair, the beginnings of a mustache, and a full sleeve of tattoos. “I’m Nick,” he added taking one of Cory’s bags from me.

“You got your girlfriend carrying your stuff for you. That’s low,” another one joked. He had short strawberry blonde hair, slightly stretched earlobes, snakebites, and tons of tattoos, too. I could tell from Cory’s descriptions of his bandmates that this was Jag.

“Maria, this is Nick, Jag, Brian, and Kyle,” Cory told me pointing to each of his friends. I smiled at them. They seemed really nice. They helped Cory drag his bags onto the bus and then Cory came out.

He pulled me into a tight hug and I hugged him back. I didn’t want to let him go. I still couldn’t imagine him not being there. We hugged for a few moments and then, still holding me in his arms, he pulled away a bit and kissed me. I felt like I might cry. I didn’t want him to pull away. If he pulled away, I knew it would be time for him to go.

“I’ll be back. I promise,” he whispered after he took his lips off of mine. That’s when I lost it. The tears I had been trying so hard to hold back poured down my face. 

“Don’t cry, Maria. It’ only for awhile,” he comforted. He wiped some of the tears away and I tried to stop. “I’ve seen you cry way too many times over the last few days,” he added with a small smile. I smiled back. At that point, I had cried every day for three days straight. “There’s that beautiful,” he told me and kissed me again.

“Come on Cory. We have somewhere to be tomorrow night,” someone called from inside the bus. He sighed.

“I love you, Maria,” he said before kissing me again. He rubbed my arms in attempt to get me to stop crying.

“Love you, too,” I replied. He kissed my forehead and let me go. He walked away and right before he got on the bus he blew me kiss causing me to giggle. I blew him one back and watched the bus drive away.