Chapter 8: Let Me Give It You Straight

I was spending a lot of time at Cory’s apartment when I wasn’t working. He didn’t have a roommate, so, unlike when we were at my apartment, we didn’t have some one breathing down our necks the whole time. One day, we were cuddling on his couch and watching movies. I didn’t have to go to work at all that day, so we decided to spend the whole day watching cheesy movies and eating popcorn. It was a day well spent in my opinion.

We were in the middle of the third movie, when he said “Maria.” I took my head off of his chest and looked at him. Whatever he was about to say didn’t sound good. My heart beat began to speed up and panic entered my head.

“Yeah,” I responded. I didn’t want to hear what he was going to say next. If he wanted to break up with me, I wished he’d just do it.

“We set a release date for the album,” he told me. What was bad about that? It sounded pretty awesome if you asked me. I had been anticipating the album’s release since we had met. “And we set dates for a tour,” he added with a sigh.

“That’s exciting,” I told him still not getting what the big deal was. I didn’t get why he was so upset about this.

“Yeah, it is, but a tour means I’ll have to leave,” he replied. He eyes were filled with sadness and suddenly it clicked. Tour meant that he would be gone for months and I would be alone. I knew it wasn’t his fault that he would leave, but I wanted him to stay. All I could think about is how everyone I loved abandoned me. It wasn’t his fault and he would be back, but it felt like everything I had tried to avoid was happening.

“Oh,” was all I said. My mind was still racing. What if he wanted to break up because he would be gone so long? What if he cheated on me while he was on tour? What if he didn’t come back to me?

“It won’t be for awhile and I’ll be back after about two months,” he reassured me. I tried to tell myself that Cory would never to any of those things. He loved me and I loved him.

“Ok,” I responded a little absentmindedly. I was still thinking. “When do you leave?” I asked when I had managed to push my thoughts away.

“The end of next month,” he answered. Well, at least I had about a month and a half with him until he left. Everything was going to be ok, I told myself.

“We’re gonna play a show around here, though, so you can come to it if you want,” he told me obviously sensing my unsureness about the whole situation.

“That sounds nice,” I told him smiling. I really wanted to see him play. I had since we met, but they hadn’t played any shows.

“Then, I’ll get you tickets,” he replied smiling back at me. I leaned my head back on his chest. I was trying to make the best of this situation. It was hard to be happy, but getting to see ASD live would make up for some of it and having him home would be so nice after months of him being away.

We went back to watching the movie and didn’t say much until it was over. I tried not to think about what it would be like to not see him every day, but it was hard to do. I had come so accustom to Cory being there that I wasn’t sure if I could make it two months.