Chapter 20

"Dear Jackson, it's been a while now hasn't it? An entire twelve years. Though sad and long for me, our daughter Yeong turned fifteen a few days ago. She still doesn't remember you because we adopted her so young, though I have yet to bring you up to her. However during the visit, I think I will today. She's old enough now, right? To understand what happened. I think she'll be proud of you Jackson just like me. I miss you so much. I try and hide my never ending longing for you from Yeong so she's not bothered with my feeling. Though sometimes I think she senses I'm sad at times. She's even asked about the ring I still wear from that day I promised. I brush it off and tell her it's just habit of keeping it on. I'll tell you the rest during the visit, don't want to write a story now. I love you so much Jackson. -Bammie"

I sighed as I set my pencil down, finishing the letter for Jackson.

"Hey dad."

Yeong called for me while knocking on my office door. I turned around in my desk chair and smiled.

"What is it?"

"Hana is here waiting downstairs for you. I still need to finish getting ready."

I gave a nod as for understanding, standing up with a quick stretch. Yeong left the door and went back to tend to her appearence. Hana is Jackson's sister who is fully grown now, and living on her own. She still came to visit me and was basically a mother and friend to my daughter. I went down and she gave me a tight hug.

"Hi BamBam."

Her tone was slightly sad but how could it not be?

"Hey Hana, thanks for coming."

"So yet again today comes around."

I exhaled and took a seat on the couch, nodding as to agree.

"Yep, the day I dread the most every year."

I stared out a window at a bird setting a nest in a tree peacefully. Hana took a seat as well while continuing conversation.

"Are you going to tell Yeong this time? I'm sure she must be curious as to who this "friend" is every year. She's mature enough I believe."

I leaned on my arms to my knees and pondered on the thought, taking a second to answer.

"Yeah, I think it's fair enough."

"She'll be okay, I'm sure."

Hana smiled as to lighten my mood before the car ride to our destination.

"I'm ready!"

Yeong gave a shout while walking down the stairs in all black attire. Black beanie with a collar shirt and jeans, her usual choice of style.

"Good so can we all go now?"

Jackson's sister asked wrapping her arm around my daughter's shoulders. I put a finger up while nearing the steps.

"Just one seconed."

I ran up to my office and took the letter I wrote off my desk. Forgetting this paper would be like forgetting how to breathe, you just don't. I calmly arrived in the living room again with the letter and smiled.

"Alright now we can go."

I added emphasis on the word "now" as I opened the front door.

"Come on now, time is of the essence."

-

I parallel parked the car against a sidewalk curb and stared at the cemetary entrance. I dreaded getting out this car and actually having to approach the grave. The last moments gave me a flashback in my head.