The Apollo Brothers; Chapter Nine

9.

                “Austin.” I hesitated. Seriously, Austin was the most unspecific person on the planet! In the world! Galaxy? I still had to define that specification. “You can’t just say them. Who the hell are them?”

                He murmured just loud enough to hear. “The others.” I was about to go insane! I breathed in and out to calm myself.

                “What others.”

                “There are more than just one group of people after you, there are people who come from our planet, and then there are people who come from yours.” I had never taken that into consideration. Humans were after me as well?

                “I’m betting that it’s a human. A Phenon would not be careless enough to approach Madeleine like that,” Zane stated in monotone. “And before you say anything Madeleine, a Phenon is just the name for us beings. Like yours is humans, ours is Phenon.”

                I  fathomed the name, it was so unfamiliar and strange.

                It had been almost seven hours of driving before Ethan spoke for the first time.

                “First things first. We need money to live in this place right?” I nodded in agreement.

                We had just driven into a rather large city, blurred bright neon colours finally became clear as we slowed down.  Signs were flashing brightly, people laughing and chatting most with a bottle of alcohol in their hands. The road were incredibly busy; it was a nightlife even Paris Hilton would be astounded by. I checked the time, it was quarter past three. Not one person seemed sleepy at all.

                “Hmm… Kingsley Casino,” Ethan stated as he read off the bright coloured sign. We drove into the underground car park of the wealthy establishment. All four of us got out of the car. I had a vague idea of what we were doing, but I wanted to be reassured.

                “Austin,” I whispered. Everything was quiet. The echo of our footsteps bounced off the white walls of the car park.  “What are we doing here?”

                “This establishment also has a hotel. It’s joined I believe. We’re staying here for the night.”

                “But… I’m pretty sure you have to be like twenty one at least to rent a room.” I knew that none of them were twenty one. Ethan being the oldest, he was around nineteen? We needed a miracle of some sort. “Plus, this place must cost a fortune to stay. Look at the doorway!”

                We were about to enter the magnificent golden archway, with intricate patterns of eagles, lions, dragons and anything else that was majestic. I felt an arm sling around my neck before a seductive whisper entered my ear.  

                “Baby, let’s party!” Zane kept his arm around my shoulder up until we reached the hotel reception.

                “Hello and welcome to Kingsley Casino. How may I help you tonight?” intoned the receptionist. The woman forced a smile behind her glasses. Her hair in a tight bun with no loose flyaways. She had a pearl earring in each ear and had faint bags under her brown eyes. Her visage was that of an airline hostess. Ethan stepped up and greeted her warmly, in his most charming voice.

                “Good Morning…” he paused and read her name badge before continuing. “…Shirley I was wondering if you could book me a room for four tonight.” I was behind him but I could see the corner of his lips rise.