Chapter 5: Begin Again

"The Happy Ending" cafe is nestled in the heart of Brooklyn. It's a cozy, bricked edifice which was built in late 1950's, everything served is delicious. From muffins, coffee, and much more pastry delights. Ruby and I meet up at such cafe every now and then for lunch, today we decided on meeting there for breakfast.

Ruby was awake much more earlier than me, she had to attend a class at six in the morning. For now I take online classes, since my internship is taking more hours of my day than I thought. I grab my black coat, red scarf and let my blonde curls set loose. The cafe is only a walking distance from the apartment, I make my way alone with my thoughts. I receive a text message from my mother, just as I left my apartment.

"Congrats on your first month at your job. Hope you have a great day, love mom"

I reply saying "thanks mom" and "love you too." Wow! It's already been a month? I've sure didn't feel it that quick. It's been ordinary really. It's not as exciting as when I was in the waiting room for to be called for my interview. Things have been odd in the building, ever since my first day. Regina has been distant, I'd say she's trying her best to avoid me. It bothers me, I won't lie. Is there something I possibly did wrong? As far as I'm concerned she doesn't remember a thing from that night. It's been a month of confussion, bitterness and nightmares. Regina was like a demon uninvited in my life, her goddess presence haunted me every passing day. It was a drug to fall in the magic of her warm dark eyes.

Yawning as the cold wind of October hit my hair, my nights have been restless. Tossing and turning, dreaming of red blood lips, long legs, angel hands and dark, dark unexplored places. Regina is a tempting desire I can't resist. I sigh, tired from that long deep thinking walk.
At the cafe, I walk in and walk towards the table ruby is at. She's ordered a latte and pancakes.
"Good morning, swan" she mocks me. She hands me over my regular coffee she ordered for me. I drink almost half of it, hot coffee running through my throat could maybe wake me up.
"You don't look to good, emma" her tone is full of concern.
"Nothing is ok ruby, nothing is going how I planned" I scoff.
"Honey that's life, nothing ever goes as planned" she digs in her pancakes. I frown at her, disappointed by life.
"What's bothering you? Talk to me, em."

Ruby has truly been the only person I could trust. I've never been very good at making friends. I meet ruby when I started college, I left all my high school drama behind to start fresh and mature. Ruby has been there ever since, we understand each other. She gained my full trust when she had my back with my whole ex-girlfriend Lily problem. She takes her full concentration to me, pulling back her long black hair with red low lights, as if she give better attention to me.
"At the office, I'm doing nothing. All the work I should be doing is being handed to Katherine, the second assistant." I rant "she's not being fair."
"Who? Regina?" She asked.
"Yes, her." I try to take make my point professional, that im only angry because im not doing the work im supposed to do. Ruby nods slightly. "So you're pissed off because you don't get to work twenty-four/seven with regina?" She's smart, or maybe she just knows me too well.
"No... Er... Yes" Damn it I can't seem to make up my mind. I put my head down on the table, bumping my forehead twice against it. A deep sigh leaves my mouth and I can hear ruby chuckle.
"Emma! You like her. No doubt about it." Her tone is empathic. "Ruby, she's my boss. No more than that" but even as I say the words, I know they're not true. A small, quiet voice whispers, perhaps ruby was right. There was something changing, a strange connection I felt when regina would walk towards her office without looking at me. Okay-I like her. There, I admitted it to myself. I cannot hide from my feelings anymore. I find her lyrical, attractive and elusive. Although it's a lost cause, I know and I sigh again with bittersweet regret.
I lift my head up, and with my silence ruby gets her answers.
"I knew it" she slams her hand on the table. Extremely happy that she was right. Ruby's attention goes to the entrance of the cafe. "Speaking of the devil" she points with her eyes to the cafe entrance. I turn slightly and it's regina. Shit! She's wearing a long purple dress, heel boots up to her ankles with black tights and a black fancy coat. Her hair falls naturally perfect and her wine color lips make me flush. My mouth goes dry looking at her, she's so freaking hot. She follows the waiter to a table that's four steps away from ours. She pays no attention to the people in the cafe, she takes her seat alone with her lap top and phone.