The last Chapter : Forever (part 2)

In Florida it is unbearably hot. Even after being here for two days already, the heat still bothers me. After ruby's wedding, I had agreed to get some days off from my petty little world. My mother and David rented a apartment near the beach in Florida for vacation. It's very beautiful. Sunny, relaxing, peaceful, just what I needed. Three days away from New York, and I kind of miss it, but then I don't. I asked my mom this morning, for us to go to the beach that's a mile away from here. I need to enjoy my mother's company, before reality slaps me in the face when I get back home tomorrow.
"Emma, are you ready honey?"
"Yes, mom. Let's go to the beach."

I am in my white tank top, sipping a diet coke, on a sun bed facing the Atlantic Ocean. My mother lounges beside me in a ridiculously large pink floppy sun hat, and sipping and coke of her own. We are on a beach called Sanibel. The view is just gorgeous, and the tall lighthouse on the left catches my attention. My mom holds my hand, as I soak up the sun, I feel warm, comfortable, safe even. For the first time in forever, I start to relax.

I close my eyes for an instant. Listen to the waves of the water from a sandy beach, seagulls calling from up above the sky. The joyful melody full fills my heart. For one second, my mind shifts off, and imagine myself. Standing In front of the ocean. I see what my brain hears. The nice and cool water cover my feet. I turn to my right, and there was regina.
With a dazzling smile, eyes honey color, her skin glowing like gold as the sun hit her face. In a light blue dress, that matched the color of the ocean. She's so beautiful, crystal-clear like an angel. I reach over for her hand, as an invitation to walk into the water.
She nods, and as she's about to take my hand, my mother startles me, waking me from my imaginary world.
"So, emma... tell me about your love life. Any girls who have caught your eye?"

Love life? Oh mother of mine! What to say? I can't mention regina, she's not in my life anymore. This feels like when I had to pretend I had a boyfriend in high school, so my mom would stop asking questions. I blanch at the thought.
"Well?" She prompts, and squeezes my hand.
"Mom, there's no love life to talk about." I turn to face her. She looks at me waiting for me to say the truth. She gazes at me with her emerald green eyes.
"Do you miss her?"
"Miss who?"
"Emma stop, I'm your mother."
"Ok. Yes I do mom."
I let out my feelings, true feelings. I can't help it. I miss her deeply. Her missing presence haunts me, like a ghost that follows me everywhere. I've tried so hard to get over her, no matter what I do, no matter what they say, I can't forget her.
"Emma, you need to make a decision. For yourself. Look for her if you want her, or move on completely from her." She says seriously.
"There's a chance for you to be happy in every corner, but you don't see them. I want your happiness more than anything."

I gape at her. This sounds like good advice. I feel my eyes sadden at the decision I have to make. Tears prick the corner of my eyes.
"Emma, darling. Don't cry."
"Sorry. This won't be easy mom, but I'll figure it out. Don't worry."
"That's my girl, emma." She grins.

I knock timidly on my apartment door. I had completely forgotten my new roommate, changed the door lock. August answers the door. He's on his phone. He blinks at me in surprise, then holds the door open for me to enter. August is mine and ruby's longtime friend. He's the one I asked to pretend to be my boyfriend for some time. He is now my new roommate. I smile fondly at him, and wait sitting in the couch till he finishes his conversation. He hangs up, and reaches over to hug me.
"Hey kiddo, how was your mini vacation?"
"Relaxing. Just what I needed." I take a deep breath. Remembering my mother's words about regina.
"You look tired. You should nap," he suggested.
"I'm going for a run. See you later em." He says as he walks out the apartment.

After a light lunch at home. I start to unpack. My mind is distracted. I don't even get excited over the awesome stuff I bought in Florida. The regina topic floods my head. I need to do something, before I go insane.
Think swan.