Chapter 8: the lady and the blonde

One more round in the kitchen and I'm done. This Sunday drags at my apartment, ruby is about to get home in a few minutes and I'm still stuck in the kitchen like when she left four hours ago. It's been a week since the baking challenge regina put me up to. It's mindless work, and it gives me too much time to think. I won't complain, how regina expects her sweet little cupcake every morning, and how she smirks, flirts and those swiftly touches. It hardly seemed real, Feeling her skin on mine, even if it's a ghostly touch. Was I dreaming? Was I imagining all this? No. The picture of regina's lips close to mine without touching from that night comes back to me. It's all been definitely happening. I want this woman desperately, and she wanted me. The timer goes off, my cupcakes are improving. They look softer, puffy and smell delicious. I smile satisfied.

Ruby walks in, still with her red and white waitress uniform from the diner. I leap over to hug her.
"Hi, em." She's clearly exhausted. She raises her eyebrows
"You're cooking again." She gives me a interesting look.
"I've almost accomplished it, I'd say that by tomorrow regina is going to have to do her part of the challenge." I say with excitement.
"What exactly is her part?'
"That she will finally let me taste her famous apple turnovers." I clap my hands and jump up and down like a small child. I can't seem to contain my happiness. Ruby laughs "I'm so happy for you em" she holds me at arms length, smiling.

"I'm assuming it's going well?"
"It's still not the official dating, but I suppose." I shrug.

"So when are you going to ask her out?" She asks making her way to the kitchen for a cupcake. Er..! I'm caught with a knotted throat. Ask her out? Like on a date.. officially on a date. My relationship with regina was going absolutely well, but was it well enough to take it to the next step. What if she rejects me? I could deal with life rejection but not from regina-my-dream-wife-mills.
"Um, I don't know." I squeak at her, my voice rising several octaves.
"What are you waiting for emma?" She's being bossy now.
"It's not easy, I've never really asked anyone out on a date before." I admit. My romantic life hasn't been easy, I dated a girl for 3 years. It was a relationship where she would do everything, ask me out, choose the restaurant, drive to the movies. I was never the one choosing the daily activities. Ruby is now staring at me from the kitchen with a look of complete and utter consternation on her face.
"Emma don't be ridiculous, just ask her out and you'll be fine." She mutters. She's chewing on of my cupcakes, "you where right, you got better em."

I stare at ruby getting an idea, brilliant idea. She shakes her head, knowing I'm getting on of my crazy ideas.
"Emma what the hell are you thinking of now?" With her Cheshire cat smile, she's intrigued now.
"You're going to help me with my dinner date." I smile ear to ear.

It's a quarter passed eight, I'm at my desk waiting for her. Waiting to see that unique, bold and enduring woman pass right before me, leaving her chanel perfume haunt me when she walks to her office. Katherine's not here yet, it would be more perfect if regina would get here before she did. My fingers tie up like knots, my breathe hitches. You got this, swan. I hear my subconscious. Before I can start my regular inhale, exhale activities. She's here. She looks casually elegant. She's on her blackberry phone talking to someone walking to her office.
"Have it fax to me immediately.. how much will it cost?... When will it arrive to france?.. okay let's do it. Keep me abreast of progress." She hangs up. I waste no time and walk in before regretting my actions.

I glance at her. Regina in her usual polite, slightly distant self. She's hard to read. I take a deep breath.
"H-hey" I stutter.
"Hey" she quirks an eyebrow at me as I blush furiously.
"Ms. Swan you forgot something" she looks around her desk, noticing her usual box from "the happy ending cafe" is missing.
"I wanted to give it to you personally."