Impassioned

EVERY GODDAMN CHAPTER OF YOURS IS AMAZING WHAT EVEN author144

"Hey, ma. How are things at the house?" Jack's voice quivered as he asked the question aloud. He had waited so long to ask this, and after a couple days, the power had returned. He politely excused himself from Mark's house, asking to take a walk despite Mark's wanting to be there for comfort. Things between them had died down, and Jack found that Mark was trying to be especially kind, and he had gone out of his way to do nice things for the Irishman. He was flattered, that was for sure, but his family was something that he had to address on his own, much to his despair.
"Oh, Sean, it's so good to hear your voice," his mother breathed through the phone, and Jack flinched at the name she had used. He was used to her calling him Jack as well, and it could only mean that things weren't getting any better there if she was too focused on the fact that he called at least. "How are things in America?"
"Oh, they're..." I trailed off, not sure what to say. Things had been perfect up until recently when the alcohol incident had occurred. Yet, now things were fine, back to normal if not more than that. Quick kissed on the cheek or the neck from Mark, a hand brushing across his lower back, bright smiles and coffee brought up to Jack's room every morning, it almost felt like a dream. They weren't exclusive, or official, but it sure felt that way about now. "Things are great, my friend Mark is having me stay and its been wonderful."
"That's great!" his mother exclaimed, but Jack could hear the falter in her voice, the lack of true excitement and the underlying uneasiness.
"Ma, what's going on over there now?" he asked, and he heard a sigh as he continued to walk down the streets. They were darkened as evening fell over the city, and Jack shoved his free hand into his pocket.
"Oh, Jack." Jack stiffened at his name. "Your brothers have only gotten angrier with one another, and it feels like they've completely cut themselves off from one another. They get into arguments constantly, and anytime they're here or around your sisters, they demand we take sides even though we don't see a want to, and it's like they've dragged us down with them, the tension here is so thick. Not only that, but your girlfriend rang several times, as well as coming over, looking for you and asking for you.." she trailed off, and Jack's throat closed as he felt tears welling up.
His brothers had become friends with a single girl, and it wasn't long before both of them developed feelings for her. They had never seen her much, but his brothers started arguing quite a bit before Jack had even left. It got to a point that they would wake him up from sleep, interrupt recordings, just to ask him his opinion on who was better for this girl. This girl, who had no idea what was going on and considered them both a friend. After several weeks of no sleep, terrible content being produced and having to cut a lot of video, Jack's girlfriend said that she found someone else as well, and left him. At that point, Jack couldn't take anymore of the stress, it was getting to him. He spent the next few nights awake without sleep, unsure of how he was going to escape this. Bob brought up the idea of visiting for awhile, and here things were only just looking up it seemed. Even so, the little ray of happiness that was Mark made him happy, gave him hope. The fact that his girlfriend not only tried to call him, but came to his house and his mother's house to see him made the Irishman uneasy.
"Did she say anything else?" Jack asked, swallowing, and his mother hummed negatively.
"No, just that she had something she wanted to talk to you about," she replied, and Jack nodded absently, even though it couldn't be seen. Jack didn't know if she wanted to talk about her new life, check up on him, ask for him back, he wasn't sure. He could only hope that it wasn't that last one, for with how he and Mark were doing, he wasn't sure if he'd be prepared to make a decision between them. His girlfriend had been with him for some time, and she was kind and considerate, but Mark was on a whole new level of kind and considerate. After they made up, he seemed to keep close to him, just close enough that it would be suspicious if watched from afar. Again, they weren't dating, but Jack wondered most of the time if they should. Maybe.
"Alright, well, I just wanted to see how things were." Jack said, sighing as he rounded the corner on the block, heading back onto Mark's street and towards his house. "Hopefully things will die down."
"I don't know," his mother said uncertainly. "Your sisters seem to be angry with me seeing as how I've done nothing to stop the boys. Its not like I can, I've no power over their screaming at one another, I just wish they wouldn't involve us into it." Jack nodded biting his lip, and his mother sighed. "When do you think you are coming home?" Jack inhaled sharply, and felt guilty as he realized he didn't even want to leave. Mark had been so nice, it was wonderful here.
"I don't know, Ma. I'll tell you when I figure it out." Jack faltered, and his mother sighed over the phone.
"Alright, take care of yourself, Sean," she said, and Jack flinched at his name once more, and the phone call ended abruptly. Guilt swelled inside Jack, but he knew that he was better off here. Being in such a negative environment, even if for something so small, it wasn't good for him. Mark's place was better.
"Aren't you just staying here because you have feelings for this man?" Jack thought to himself, and he shook himself. "No, that can't be it." He convinced himself, heading into Mark's house and shutting the door, removing his jacket. "Mark?" he called out, seeing that the house was quiet, and he found no response. Mark's car was in the driveway, where could he have gone? Jack wandered around upstairs, not finding him there either. Making his way back downstairs, he walked into the kitchen and gaped.
The table had been set up nicely, a meal that looked close to gourmet set out on red tablecloth with a few candles lit up. The kitchen had been completely cleaned, and it looked like a cliche romantic candle lit dinner. Jack only stared, and Mark walked into the room behind him, spooking him a bit, but surprise still caught Jack.
"Do you like it?" Mark asked, and Jack's face flushed red.
"Is is for us?" he asked, and Mark blinked twice, laughing and shaking his head.
"No, I'm having someone else over- yes its for us!" he said sarcastically, and Jack laughed at this too, punching the man in the arm. Mark had dressed up in a flannel, wearing nice pants and his hair had been tamed to look nice. He was handsome, no doubt about that. Jack suddenly felt a bit out of place.
"I feel underdressed," he admitted, and Mark only let out a snort, shaking his head once more.
"You look perfect, as always." Jack blushed as Mark looked at him. "How did things go with your family?" Jack shrugged.
"It could have been better." There was a moment of silence as Jack stared somberly at his hands.
"Allow me to make it better." Mark said in a hushed voice next to Jack's ear, and he looked back at Mark, who grabbed his hand and led him to the table. He pulled out a chair, in which Jack sat down and Mark pushed it in. He sat across from him, wearing a large grin and winking at the Irishman, making him blush. "Let's eat then, yes?"
"Thank you, Mark."
"Anything for you, Jack."