Prologue

Dear Ava,

You must be mad at me, right? It’s okay. I completely understand. I’d be mad at me too, if I were in your position. But I’m not. Which makes me even angrier. I’d do anything to trade places with you. Anything. Except forgive myself.

But maybe you aren’t mad at me. Just maybe. You’ve always been impossibly kind. Not only to me, but to literally everyone! Remember once, you even gave that driver a smile and a wink even though he totally cut you off!

Like I mentioned, impossibly. Kind.

Too kind for your own damn good. And now look where it’s got you. Sigh. Sorry. I didn’t mean that. I actually like that about you. You see the good in everyone.

Sometimes I wish I was that kind.

Wait, you probably think I’m wasting your time for reading this. I don’t know what I’m going for, really. It’s just that…I write to you every single day that it stuck. And we don’t use technology to communicate (except telephones), remember? So I don’t see the point in using it now, seeing as you’re…never mind.

Anyway, I’ve decided, like before, I will write to you. Every single day of my life till I get over you. And I will write to you every day that I spent with you that meant a lot to me. Which is pretty much every day I was with you. Anyway, it doesn’t matter that you don’t answer. What matters is that I can still see you, Ave. I see or hear or say or even think your name, I can still picture you, happy as can be.

Well, ‘til the morrow, Ava.

Without wax,

Carter