Two: Introducing....Sarah!

Ava,

So, it’s Tuesday. I really wasn’t kidding when I said I would write to you every single day. Yesterday I wrote about fate and jokes and Matthew Perry. Today…I’m not sure.

Hey, maybe you’re wondering why I keep signing my letters with “without wax.” Well, remember when I said I’m a fan of Dan Brown and Robert Langdon’s adventures are freaking awesome? Well, in this one book of his, Digital Fortress, he talked ‘bout the origins of without wax. Well, to save you from all the boring details—you prob’ly think they’re boring, but I really don’t—here’s my summary. The Spanish sculpted statues. And to win competitions, some cheated and put wax on their sculptures to win. Eventually they got caught, of course. And so the sculptures that have no wax are called sin cera or “without wax.” Thus sin cera eventually evolved into our modern English word “sincerely,” meaning everything we told in our letters are true and sincere.

Got it?

Okay, now, stop yawning. Wait till I become a professor, too. Let’s see who’s laughing then! All right, that was lame. Even I don’t get it.

Enough about me. How about you? Still staying strong? You better. I’ll visit you on Saturday. Sarah’s coming along, also. It would be great! Just like the old days. I bet you don’t have an ounce of regret for moving here in America, huh? Way better off here than in London. Although…with what happened…I’m not sure if I should say you really were better off.

I shake myself. Whatever. Anyway, I remember when you first moved here. You had your nose stuck to the map all day, even though I offered to tour you. We were pen pals for, like, a year and you’re still shy that you’re so lost.

Lost…

I introduced you to Sarah at lunch. Your eyes lit up when you guys exchanged pleasantries. You said it was because you finally have a female friend, and you’re sick of me. I pushed you after that remark. I never heard the cafeteria laugh so hard. Until you pushed me back.

Then Sarah joked, “You two are like an old married couple.”

My face flushed and I saw that your face was red as well. We then glared and said together, “Sarah!”

Sarah ignored us, humming the bridal march.

“It’s not—we’re not…like that,” you stammered, your face still red.

I then decided to tease you more. “Oh?” I feigned being hurt. I put a hand over my heart dramatically. “I thought last night was special! And then, you told you love—oof!”

You freaking punched me in the gut! I looked around, seeing if teachers saw. No one even glanced our way.

“What the hell?” Instinct made me to form a fist and raise my arm. “Why you little…”

“You’d hit a girl?” Sarah said, incredulous. You had the same expression as well.

I glanced at my fist and lowered it. I felt my cheeks redden. “No. No, I-I wouldn’t. Guys, you know that…”

Then you two hunched over in laughter. “You should’ve seen your face!”

I groaned, banging my head on the desk. I regret introducing you two to each other, I thought, not meaning it. But at that moment, I kinda did.

Without wax,

Carter