Three: Spongebob Boxers

Ava,

Hi! So it’s a Wednesday, just in case you didn’t notice. At least I’d be like your calendar or something. Always reminding you what day of the week it is. You might find it annoying, though.

Remember the Fence? It’s on the way to my house, and we always stop there, especially when the school’s been stressful. Or if we’re just downright bored and/or depressed. The Fence stretches from point A—the entrance to the beach, where most people go, to point B which is my house. When I mentioned this to you, your eyes bulged and you seriously squealed! Sarah snorted and I just laughed. You said you’ve always wanted to have a beach house and that I was lucky. Although, considering the present situation, I’m not so lucky.

We sit on the Fence, because the wood is wide enough and it isn’t that much of a discomfort. The view was the best, especially during sunset and sunrise. We’ve plenty of photos to prove it. We just sit there for a few minutes, talking about heartbreaks and crazy teachers and failed math tests. Then after that, we sit in silence, admiring nature’s work. And then, after approximately ten minutes, we jump down, leave our shoes and socks, and run to the beach like madmen.

Literally no one has loved that Fence more than us. No one sits on it or jumps over it. Some did at the beginning, of course, but after we glared daggers at them and put balls on their cars, they never did it again.

So the Fence has become our thing. It still is.  

I remember that day when we played truth or dare. Sarah voted against it, but we somehow convinced her.

“Come on, Sarah,” you whined—face it, you seriously whined. “Let’s try something different. Besides, it’d be fun.”

Sarah grumbled something incoherent. And then she said, “Fine. Dare’s better not be humiliating.”

“Sure.”

“Ava…”

“Okay, let’s spin the bottle!” I declared. We were sitting by the Fence, and we were sitting on comfy throw pillows. We put the bottle on a book so that it would spin easily. I spun it, silencing my two friends. We all watched who the unlucky loser would be.

It landed on me. What are the odds of that?

You and Sarah then played rock, paper, and scissors to see who’d get to dare me. Or ask me something.

Sarah won.

She sent me a mischievous grin that made my stomach churn. Whatever she was planning, it wasn’t good. I knew it was her way to get back at me for siding with you to play truth or dare.

“Truth or dare?” she asked me sweetly. I knew it was all an act.

“Um. Truth?” I felt like I was asking her permission or something. She shook her head no. I sighed. “Dare.”

She clapped her hands. “Great!” She put her finger against her chin, pretending to think about my dare. Then she glanced at me, smiling like a Cheshire cat. I gulped.

“Okay, go run by the water, clad in nothing. Now.”

Sarah crossed her arms across her chest. You laughed manically.  

“Hell no!” I protested. “Are you serious?”

“Why not? No one’s around. And it’s, like, six in the evening. No one can see you but us.” I couldn’t believe you just said that, Ave.

“See, Ava sides with me,” Sarah said smugly. “Go, get!”

I grunted. I looked from side to side, to see if there’s any cops around. Or other human beings who’re taking evening strolls. Luck was in my side, because the other people were way on the other side of the beach. And there weren’t a lot of them. I spun around to look at Sarah.

“Can I at least leave my boxers on?” I begged her.

She glanced at you and raised an eyebrow. You nodded and gestured that meant, “Proceed.” Sarah nodded at me, trying not to laugh. I sighed in defeat. There was a tree near us, so that’s where I stripped. I left my boxers on, thankful that it wasn’t embarrassing. Although…there were some prints on it, but I really couldn’t see…

“Oh, get on with it, West!” You called out to me.

So I stepped out of the tree, clad in nothing but my boxers. It was a shade darker by this point, so you two grabbed your flashlights and turned them on. Since the lights were pointed at me, I had to cover my eyes. I turned my back on them and walked by the water and ran.

Not long that I heard laughter. I recognized your high-pitched laughter, and Sarah’s, but I heard more. I turned to the direction of the unrecognizable laugh and all blood drained from my face.

“Oh, shit!” I cried out.

They were teenaged boys! They looked like the football team. They weren’t seniors—thank God!—but they must be sophomores or juniors. They were too tall to be freshmen.

When I turned to gape at them, they laughed even harder. I ran as fast as I could towards you guys. But I wasn’t far enough that I still heard them holler, “Nice Spongebob boxers, kid!”

When I reached you, I was out of breath, and my face was red. (Hey, that rhymed! Sort of.) I glared daggers at you two and put on my Hollister sweatshirt and Gap jeans. It took me longer than usual because my fingers were shaking with humiliation. When I was dressed, I climbed o’er—you say that, remember?—the Fence and hopped in my car. You and Sarah followed suit, packing up along the way. You called shotgun and Sarah knew better than to complain, so she let this one time slide. When we were on the way to drop Sarah off, you held my hand. Squeezing it, you soothed me, saying, “Hey, we’re real sorry and we won’t do it again, but you gotta admit, Carter. It was funny.”

I let out a chuckle. “Okay, okay, it was.”

“Hey, I’m way sorrier than Ava! Forgive me?” Sarah apologized. I told her you were both forgiven and we lot out our laughs.

“At least they don’t know who you are, Carter,” you told me.

I nodded my head in agreement. Yeah, thank heaven they didn’t.

Without wax,

Carter

a/n: Hi! So this is my first a/n for this story. yayy! :bd So this story would be told in a boy's POV, which is a first for me. Oh, well! There are firsts for everything, right? 

I hope I do this story well! 

You know the drill Like this story? Show your love! 

Vote. Comment. Share. 

See you next chapter!