3. Magic (In a Young Boy's Heart)

Disclaimer: Yes, I borrowed some song lyrics for the title. I do not regret this decision at all. And, as always, these characters belong to Mrs. Rowling! Thank you guys so much for the reads!

"Magic?" Harry repeated uncertainly. "It's real?"

"Of course it is!" Sirius smiled encouragingly at the young boy. "Here." He pulled out his wand and waved it a little, and a tiny stag, doe, werewolf, and dog pranced out of his wand and around Harry's head. Sirius smiled, remembering how much Harry had loved these when he was a baby. He would spend hours trying to catch the little transparent animals, and now he stared at them in awestruck wonder. When the animals dissipated, Harry couldn't hold back his grin.

"More?" He pleaded excitedly.

Sirius obliged.

*~*~*

In all his short life, Harry had never been in a place that felt more like home.

Shortly after being released from the infirmary, Sirius had picked Harry up and did something called...apa...apar...apition? Harry wasn't sure; all he knew was that it had felt weird and it wasn't something he'd like to repeat anytime soon. But he, his godfather, and Remus had landed in front of a small cottage, Harry's new home. He quickly pinched himself to make sure he wasn't dreaming, and, satisfied that he was away from the Dursleys, at least for now, he followed the two men into the home.

It was much bigger on the inside than it looked from an outside glance. Sirius took his time giving Harry a tour as Remus disappeared down the hallway. "This is the sitting room, kiddo."

Harry glanced around. The walls were painted a welcoming light brown, and the carpet was soft enough to curl up on. "The couch is beyond comfortable." Sirius continued as Harry stared at the sectional. "I've purposely fallen asleep on it a few times, and I normally hate going without a bed." Harry winced. He'd never really had a bed.

Sirius showed him the kitchen, the dining room, and the guest bathroom. All of them had the same earthy tones: light green, light brown, white, tan. Harry loved it; the Durselys had overused white and blue, so much so that the place felt more like a museum than a home.

He followed his Godfather down the hall. "These are mine and Remus' rooms. We will always leave our doors cracked, so come and get us if you need us at all, alright?" Harry looked up at the doors, one supporting a gold "S" and the other a gold "R". As he had said, both doors were cracked.

Harry only nodded. "What...what about that door down there?" He pointed to the door at the very end of the hallway, that was shut so tight it looked as if it had been sealed.

"That's just the basement, Harry." Sirius explained a bit too quickly. He crouched down, making sure he was eye to eye with the little boy. He had to be firm about this, and he stared at his charge intently. "I need you to promise me that you will never go down there, Harry. No matter what, okay?"

"O-okay." He smiled lightly at Sirius, trying to lighten the mood. Sirius returned the smile and then stood and turned, opening a door with the gold letter "H" hung on it.

"Now for the best part! This is your room, Harry!" Harry's eyes widened. He stared at the room that had not yet been decorated, not believing that it was all his. The carpet was the same, soft white stuff that was in the living room. His bed was huge, large enough to hold three people. There was a rocking chair in one corner of the room, a door leading to a closet in another, and another door leading to a private bathroom in the last empty corner.

"A-all this...for me?" Sirius smiled and nodded, although saddened by his godson's reaction. It was as if Harry had never had a room in his life...