4. Harsh Realities

Dedication: This is for amitytrost, maraudersforlife, and CatnipNGale for their comments and/or votes! Thanks so much!

Disclaimer: I don't own these characters, but the beautiful Mrs. Rowling does! Enjoy the chapter!

Harry rolled onto his side, eyes filled with tears. It was still kind of dark out, but dawn was fast approaching and the young boy didn't see a reason to go back to sleep. It being morning was a good thing; Harry didn't think he could go back to sleep after his nightmare anyway. Harry buried his face in a nearby pillow and let a few tears out, but jolted when he heard footsteps approaching his door. He quickly flipped the pillow over so that the dry side was facing upwards and swiped any stray tears away, hoping it wouldn't be obvious that he'd been crying. He wrapped his arms around the pillow and buried his face in it once more, making it look as if he'd just been sleeping. He heard the door creak open.

"Harry?" An amused voice asked. Harry lifted his head up and looked back at Sirius timidly, glad the room was still dark so the man couldn't really see his face. "What's your blanket doing on the floor?" He flicked on the light and Harry could see that he was grinning. Sirius walked over and picked up the comforter, laying it back on the bed and, in effect, on Harry. He sat down on the side of the bed and his grin faded. "Are you alright, Harry? You look like you've been crying."

"No cryin'." Harry mumbled, picking up his pillow and returning it to its place with the others. Sirius highly doubted that, but didn't push it.

"Well, why don't you come on downstairs with me? Uncle Moony's already up-"

"Uncle Moony?"

Sirius nodded. "Remus. Your daddy and I called him Moony and they called me Padfoot."

"Oh. What was daddy called?"

"His name was James, but we called him Prongs." Sirius gave Harry a light smile. "So, how about we go say good morning to Uncle Moony?"

Harry nodded and started to get down, but frowned. "C-can I go potty first?"

"Of course, I'll wait." Harry ran off to the bathroom, and, before Sirius was able to stop himself, he reached over and grabbed the pillow that Harry had been curled up on earlier and flipped it over, sighing when he saw the big wet spot. Harry had been crying. He put the pillow away and frowned, hoping that soon Harry would come to him so he didn't have to lay in here and cry alone.

"All done." He heard a timid voice behind him say. He smiled and looked down at his godson.

"All done?" He mimicked. Harry blushed as Sirius laughed and picked him up. "You're adorable."

Harry hadn't objected; just buried his face in his godfather's shoulder. Sirius smiled and kissed his head, wishing so badly he could have had this little boy sooner. He made his way down the hall and smiled when he saw Remus at the stove.

"Good morning, Moony. Look who's already up." Remus looked up, a sad smile on his face.

"Good morning, Harry. Padfoot." He began moving pancakes from the griddle to a plate. Harry looked up and muttered a timid "Good morning" before looking over at the table that had been set for three. Bacon and scrambled eggs had already been put out, a place in the center still waiting for pancakes.

"I...I get to eat with you?"

Sirius and Remus shared a quick, worried glance. What was the extent of the abuse?

"Of course, honey. Always." Remus reassured. "Padfoot, I already put the booster seat in one of the chairs."

"Thanks, Moony." Sirius smiled at Harry as he went to set him down, but froze slightly when Harry grabbed his arms and squeezed a little. "Harry, what's wrong?"