21. Heroes Lose Sometimes

Harry coughed as he landed with a thud in front of what looked like a shut down clothes store.

He huffed; had he said it wrong? "This isn't St. Mungos!"

Right about now, he was kicking himself for even thinking about leaving home. He turned around to the little hole in the wall he'd come through and tried to see if there were any flames he could try and salvage for a trip home, but there were none. When he turned back around, the door to the boutique had opened just slightly; just enough room for him to squeeze in.

At least I'll be warm in there.

Harry walked over hesitantly and slipped inside, only to be greeted by the buzz and white hallways of what had to be a Hospital.

He'd only been in a hospital once; not long before he was taken away, his Aunt Petunia had had to go to the hospital in the middle of the night because she had been bleeding very badly. They had called it a miscarriage, or something. All Harry knew was that he was supposed to have another cousin and for some reason, didn't.

Looking up, Harry saw a sign with an arrow pointing to the left that read, "Labor, Delivery, and Maternity." He furrowed his brow; that phrase sounded familiar. Shrugging, seeing as he didn't have anywhere he necessarily needed to be, Harry followed the arrow...only to run into Sarah.

"Harry?" She questioned. "What are you doing here?"

"I..." He paused. "What are you doing here?"

She had a hand resting on her ever-growing bump. "I do believe I asked you first, but if you tell me what you're up to I'll tell you why I'm here."

He huffed and looked up at her, giving her a mean look. "Promise?"

"I promise."

"I'm goin' to get snacks for me an' Uncle Padfoot." He rocked back and forth on his heels. "Your turn."

She smirked. "I'm here because I thought something was wrong with your little cousin." Crossing her arms, she fixed him with a hard stare. "Now, I know for a fact your uncles are at home. I want you to tell me why you're really here."

Harry sighed and looked down at his feet; he'd been busted. "I w's runnin' 'way."

"I couldn't hear that."

"I was runnin' away." He looked up at her. "Please don't tell. I gotta leave so they can be happy."

"Harry, I have to take you home." She shook her head. "You can't do this to them, buddy. They're going to be worried sick."

Harry stared at her in horror; why didn't she understand?! "Please don't!" He was shaking his head and backing away now. "Please!" He took his backpack off and fished out a bag of Goldfish. "You can have my fish if you promise not to tell!"

"Sweetheart, you can keep your fish." She walked over to Harry and picked up his bag. "Come on, Harry. Once I get checked out I'll take you home."

Defeated and angry, Harry followed her, arms crossed.

*~*~*

I'm telling you, he's leaving. I can feel it.

Sirius mentally sighed; Padfoot's chest moved up and down as if he had taken a deep breath.

No he isn't, Moony. He has to be asleep by now; I'm sure you dragging him down here traumatized him enough to make him not want to step out of line for another ten years.

He loved Moony, loved him dearly, but he'd almost rather be dealing with the werewolf than the overprotective Remus with all of his instincts in high gear.