14. Appointments and Play Dates (Part 1)

"What was that all about?"

Remus chanced a glance at Sirius and quickly looked down at his legs. "Nothing."

"Uh, she stomped out and slammed the door and scared Harry. That was not nothing."

Remus gulped, not sure he should say what had caused her to react that way. "She wanted...she wants another baby. So she went off of her birth control a while back."

Sirius' jaw dropped. "Remus, please don't tell me..."

"She is pretty sure she's pregnant."

"Oh dear Merlin." The animagus ran his hands through his hair. "Well, what now? I suppose you're going to marry her?"

"If she's pregnant, I need to. If she's not, then this is over."

"Did you tell her that?"

"Why do you think she stormed out?" Remus sighed. "I can't believe she'd do that to me. I wouldn't be upset with her had she just warned me."

"Maybe you should have been more careful."

"I did as much as I could, Sirius." Sirius merely pursed his lips and crossed his arms. He hated to admit it, but Remus was right. Remus deserved to have a good time as well and Sirius needed to not be so selfish.

"I'm sorry, Moony." Sirius walked to the door. "I've got to check on Harry. I'll give you some time alone."

And with that, Sirius left, feeling an ache that he could not identify.

*~*~*

Meanwhile, Harry sat shivering on the couch.

The way that lady had stomped around and slammed the door reminded him much of Vernon. The second Sirius had stood Harry wanted him back, wanted him or Uncle Moony to tell him that everything was going to be okay.

It seemed like hours later that Sirius walked back in. Harry raised his arms, a frown on his face. "Uncle Padfoot..."

"Oh, come here, kiddo." Sirius wasted no time in hoisting Harry up and into his arms, hugging the boy close to him. "You're with me, you're safe."

Harry just buried his face in Sirius' neck, and breathed in the scent of his godfather. It was beyond comforting, and he knew he didn't have much longer to revel in the man's arms.

Sirius had already told him he had to go back to work the next day.

What Harry didn't know was that to Sirius, holding Harry was the most calming thing in the world, and he dreaded going to work the next day.

*~*~*

"Do you remember Mrs. Weasley, Harry?"

Harry did, in fact, remember the lady with red hair that was so cheerful at the book store. However, he wasn't so sure that he wanted to stay with her. He didn't understand why Uncle Moony had to go to the doctor with that scary lady from the day before, Uncle Moony didn't have a baby in his tummy.

But, he nodded, not wanting to make his uncle upset again.

"You're going to be staying with her and some of her children while I'm at the doctor." He smiled. "I'll pick you up at lunch and we may be able to go get something special, okay?"

Harry looked down at the ground and nodded mutely, then looked up at Remus from under his fringe. "Do you have to go, Uncle Moony?"

"Yes, baby. I have to."

"But what if they don't like me?" Harry was near tears. "You like me 'cause you have to. They don't have to like me."

"Harry, that is not true." Remus was feeling incredibly guilty as he squatted down to eye level. "I love you because I want to. You mean the world to me. I love having you around because you are a good, sweet little boy and I could not have asked for a better little one to take care of, do you understand?"

Blushing furiously, Harry nodded. Remus had to bite back a smile. "I'm sure the children will like having you around to play with." He checked his watch quickly. "Okay, Harry, I'm going to be late so we really have to hurry." Remus picked him up and together they stepped into the floo. Harry buried his face in Remus' shoulder, hoping it would make the ride a bit easier.

Within seconds Remus was in the sitting room of the Burrow. Molly Weasley had been a bit startled by the noise and jumped up from the rocking chair, but smiled when she saw that it was just Remus.

"Remus! Harry! Hello!" Harry whispered a quiet hello as Remus set him down.

"Hello, Molly. Thanks again for taking care of him."

"I'm sure it will be no problem." She smiled. "Harry, the boys are playing outside if you'd like to join them. Would you like for me to introduce you?"

Harry looked up to Remus, who nodded. "Have fun, sweetheart. Be a good boy." He leaned down and kissed Harry's head. "I love you."

"Love you, Uncle Moony."

Harry watched sullenly as Remus stepped through the floo, then looked over at Mrs. Weasley who still wore a warm smile. She held a hand out towards Harry.

"You know, I have a son your age who I'm sure would love to meet you. You all will be in the same year at Hogwarts, and probably the same house. It might be nice to have a friend going in, don't you think?"

Harry's lips quirked up a little, and he grew less hesitant as he walked up to her and took her hand. This seemed to make her smile grow a little wider and she walked outside, Harry in tow.

A young boy who was a little taller than Harry immediately ran over to them, and Harry had to fight the urge to hide behind Mrs. Weasley.

"Is he here, mummy?" The boy was bouncing on his feet, to excited to notice the little boy latched to his mother. Molly looked down at Harry and smiled.

"Harry, this is my son, Ron." Ron looked over at him and gave him a toothy grin.

"Hi Harry! Do you want to play quidditch with us? Come on!" Ron grabbed his free hand and pulled him towards two boys that looked exactly alike, which only fazed him for a moment.

Maybe spending the morning with the Weasley's wouldn't be so bad after all.