5. A Promising Start

Disclaimer: Again, the beautiful JKR owns these characters.

Remus was a pretty light sleeper. His eyes snapped open when Sirius turned on his shower, but Remus made no move to get up. In all honesty, he was dreading today.

Harry was scared of him. He would probably be upset because Sirius wasn't going to be there; it was going to be worse because he was left with mean ol' Uncle Moony. Remus was starting to wonder if quitting the only job he'd been able to keep for more than two years was a good idea; they should have just let him stay with Molly and her children.

He sighed. He'd have to get up and face the music soon. Harry was an early riser, they'd learned, and Sirius was usually always there to carry him down to breakfast. He listened as Sirius made his way down the stairs (had Remus really laid there that long?) and then the telltale 'pop' of apparition sounded.

He groaned inwardly.

*~*~*

Harry laid tiredly in his bed.

He hadn't been sleeping very well since he'd arrived at the cottage; he'd been having nightmares every night, bad ones at that. Sometimes they'd focus on that horrible night at the Dursleys, other nights they'd be about Sirius leaving and him getting stuck there with Remus, who would drop the nice facade right after Sirius would leave.

It was all too much for Harry. He did, however, count himself lucky; he'd woken up screaming more often than not, but Remus nor Uncle Padfoot showed any indication that they had heard him. Not being punished after a bad dream was nice.

"Good morning, Harry." A soft voice behind him said. Harry raised himself up a bit and turned his head to face Remus; tired, bright green eyes met comforting brown.

Remus grinned; his nephew was adorable, with his hair sticking out every which way and his body lost in the sea of blanket. "Mornin', Remus." Remus' smile faltered for a second before he stood up straighter and made his way over to the bed.

"Are you ready for some breakfast?" Harry nodded as he pushed the blankets off of himself and quietly made his way to the bathroom. Remus sat on Harry's bed, waiting just as Sirius had instructed. When the little boy came out a few moments later, he looked a little shocked that Remus was still there. Remus carried on, hoping for the best. "Would you like for me to carry you?"

Harry looked torn, and just as Remus had decided to just walk next to him, his nephew hesitantly lifted his arms. The werewolf was shocked, but he couldn't wipe the grin off his face. Harry trusted him. Without anymore hesitation Remus bent down and pulled the boy into his arms and then stood once more, letting Harry get settled against him. Harry buried his face in Remus' shoulder as the man chuckled.

"Are you still tired?" Remus practically cooed. He received a nod in response as Harry snuggled closer. Remus soaked it up, not wanting to let go and frowning when he reached the kitchen.

He'd have to set Harry down.

He sighed and put Harry in his booster seat, ran a hand through the boy's hair, and pressed a kiss to the top of his head, much like he'd been doing every morning. This time, Harry's flinch wasn't as noticeable.

A small smile took hold once more.

This was a start.

*~*~*

Harry had felt nothing less than safe in Remus' arms as he'd carried him down to breakfast. He was beginning to wonder if Remus had just had a few bad days those first few days he was here, and he'd judged the man too harshly for it.

Remus was nothing like Vernon. He always made sure Harry had enough to eat, he'd never raised his voice, and he had been overly kind to Harry, even when he had obviously been avoiding the man.