Spare The Pain - Ch. 1: News

Armin and Eren unwillingly walk side by side, down the long hallway. The heavy tension between them came in silence except for the noise of their footsteps. None of them were able to start up a conversation. The hallways were emptying due to class starting in a couple minutes. Lunch was just next period but the two males knew that they just had to survive one more hour with each other. Armin looked down at the ground as he clutched his books to his chest. Eren looked up ahead, thinking of something to say. Eren finally spoke up once he thought of something that might make things worse.

"So, I hear you're dating Horseface," Eren informs. "I thought he was dating Marco."

Armin's eyes widened as he looked up at Eren. Eren stuffed his hands into his pockets.

"Wh-what?" Armin nervously asked.

"Are you dating Horseface?" Eren asked.

"Jean, his name is Jean," Armin corrected.

Eren rolled his eyes and sighed heavily.

"Whatever. Are you dating him or not?" Eren asked again.

"Y-yeah. But wh-what was th-that th-thing about Ma-Marco?" Armin questioned.

Armin looked back down at the ground. He was on the verge of tears, hoping that what Eren had said wasn't true.

"I saw Jean and Marco last week, an hour after the football game. I was going to go change in the locker room, after Mikasa had finally let me go. But I didn't after I saw both of them making out," Eren explained.

"N-no. J-Jean would do th-that," Armin shook his head.

He didn't want to believe the words that Eren had just spoken. He didn't want to believe that his boyfriend would do this to him. Armin couldn't hold it back, tears rolled down his cheeks. He wiped them away once he realized that they had made it to the door of their science classroom. Both boys sigh in sync before entering the classroom, Eren after Armin. Everyone that was in the classroom already - only half the class - looked up at them. Their teacher smiled widely and walked up to the boys.

"Congratulations!" She almost squealed.

"For what?" Armin asked.

Eren and Armin had confused expressions as they looked at their teacher.

"Your parents told me the news, so I switched both of your seats," she informed.

"What news?" Eren questioned.

Their teacher held up a price of paper so the class couldn't see her mouth the words that she spoke to Eren and Armin.

"The news about your arranged marriage," she explained.

Both boys' eyes widened. They looked at each other. The teacher, Mrs. Zoë, put down the paper. Armin's hands had loosened and his books fell to the ground. Mrs. Zoë startlingly jumped as the books made a huge thud. Armin began shaking his head slowly and Eren just looked away. Eren looked around the room until he spotted an empty desk with two empty chairs. The brunette sighed and kneeled on the ground, he picked up all of Armin's books before standing up again. He faced Mrs. Zoë and spoke.

"Sorry, but we weren't told of this," Eren apologized. "We'll sit down now."

He grabbed Armin's wrist and dragged him to the empty desk. Eren set the books down and made Armin sit down before sitting down himself. Both boys already knew that the whole class was watching them. To make matters worse, Jean was in their science class.

"Well then," Mrs. Zoë finally broke the awkward silence. "Shall we start the class?"