chapter four

After Frypan gives us a plate full of mashed potatoes and gravy. I lead the greenie over to a table where Newt and Minho are already sitting. I sit in my spot next to Newt and the green bean sits across from me.

Minho says hello to us, but Newt stays silent, only looking at his plate.

I nudge his arm. "Are you okay?" I whisper.

Newt looks up, seeming surprised that I was talking to him. He doesn't say anything, just gives a small nod and looks back at his food.

Why isn't he telling me anything? Usually we can't stop talking during meals, but tonight he has completely shut down. I decide to ignore it, even though it hurts. When he's ready he'll tell me, right?

"Y/n? Y/n!" It was Minho.

"Sorry, what?" I say, snapping out of my daydream.

"The greenie remembered."

"You know your name?" I ask, excited for a distraction from Newts attitude.

"Thomas, My name is Thomas," he says excitedly.

"Congratulations, Thomas."

"Now back to these delicious mashed potatoes," he jokes.

He holds some up on his fork, the food looking the consistency of vomit. Thomas and I start laughing uncontrollably.

After we finally die down Newt gets up from the table without saying a word. He stomps off towards the woods.

"Aren't you going to get him?" Thomas asks.

"No, I know Newt, he doesn't want to talk right now. I'll go get him in a little while. Anyways I'll show you where you'll be sleeping if you want."

"Sure."