chapter eight

What the hell? Thomas kissed me. I stayed up half the night thinking about the kiss. It's almost breakfast time but I can't bring myself to get out of my hammock and face him.

When he came to his hammock last night I pretended I was sleeping and by the time I woke up this morning he was already gone. I'll have to face Thomas at some point, it might as well be now.

I walk into breakfast and head over to my normal table with Minho, Newt and Thomas. I've barely sat down when Newt leaves the table to throw his tray away. Minho and Thomas are talking about running, and I just sit quietly eating my food and jiggling my leg under the table.

"The doors are opening soon, I've got to go," Minho says before leaving the table.

Neither of us say a word.

"Okay this is awkward, I'm sorry," Thomas says.

"Umm... it's okay," I reply.

"Don't worry, I don't like you like that. I just wanted to know for sure that you love Newt."

"Could you say that a little bit louder please?" I ask sarcastically. "And no I don't like him."

"Yeah, you do."

I finally give in. "Okay, fine. Maybe I do. But that doesn't change the fact that we're just friends and that's how it's going to stay."

"No, he likes you too. I'm positive. Haven't you seen how he's been acting the past few days. I mean, I didn't know him before then, but he doesn't usually act like that, does he?"

"No he doesn't, but it's not because he's jealous or something."

"I'm just trying to help you find true love."

"Whatever, I have to go to work anyways."