Chapter One

Andy

"Something's...wrong." I said grimly to Jinxx.

"I know what you mean." he agreed solemnly: "I can't quite put my finger on it, but...the air's wrong."

His words offered me little comfort. Jinxx was a half-Warlock-half-Vampire-hybrid, and if he thought that something bad was going to happen, then it usually was. Factor in that I could sense the ominous tone in the air, when I was a Vampire (no Witch or Warlock blood)...whatever was coming would not be good.

It might not even be survivable.

"We'll live through it, Andy. We survived Sandra, we'll survive whatever this will be."

I snorted in amusement: "You nearly didn't survive her."

"How was I supposed to know she had Mage blood? And you can't act smug - you didn't know either of us weren't human, you, the oh-so-powerful Master Vampire."

"Whatever." I grumbled good-naturedly.

We may be able to laugh about it now, but that event five years ago had very nearly been fatal to our rhythm guitarist. Most humans wouldn't understand, in fact many Supernatural beings either, but after Jinxx had explained everything to me, I understood how close to death he had come.

Warlocks, like Jinxx, had a natural aptitude for Black Magick. Considered by most to be toxic and dangerous, but in reality was unwavering and, in my experience, truly powerful. They often allied themselves with Vampires, Sirens or the Dark Fae.

Witches, on the other hand, had a natural aptitude too - but to White Magick. 'Pure' and 'clean', those who wielded it were to my mind nauseatingly pious and really had no reason to be. They were allied to the Werewolves, the Light Fae, the Nymphs, and Mer People.

However occasionally, and very occasionally, a Witch and a Warlock would fall in love, despite being natural enemies. The children of such unions were the Mages, wielders of both Black and White Magick. More powerful than either Warlocks or Witches, they were often unstable, going mad if they couldn't find their 'Kindred'.

That had been Sandra. Deteriorating mentally under the weight of her power. Now she had found her Kindred, she was fine again. We got on well. But before that she had turned on Jinxx, screaming about 'the enemy' surrounding us.

Her fear of her father's people, Witches, had led us to believe we had a Witch in our band or road crew...but Jinxx sensed no-one else who wielded Magick like he or Sandra did. So we let her go, to give her time to recover and focus on finding her Kindred. Now she had...we were glad our friend was still alive and healthy, and really that was all that mattered.

Besides, now we had CC, and Imp: one of the Dark Fae. Humans saw them as mischievous little creatures playing pranks and practical jokes, but truly they were a wild and violent race. Brawlers and partiers and, yes, they could be 'playful' in a sense, but even that often ended in violence. CC though was good natured for an Imp. It was likely he had Nymph blood somewhere in his lineage. He was a good fit for us.

"Come on." Jinxx grunted, interrupting my train of thought: "Sound-check."

I jumped up. I liked to be involved in this - we were a touring band, I remembered touring when we didn't have a road crew, and I always liked to know of any issues so I could get over them before going on stage.

Besides...CC, big room, no hundreds or thousands of people watching us...it was almost guaranteed to provide us with some laughter. He always had some prank to pull.

Even as I walked to sound-check with a smile, though, I felt Ashley barge past me, growling slightly under his breath.

I watched him storm a head with a confused expression painted over my face.

Ashley had been acting so...off recently. I didn't know why. But since the beginning of tour he'd been getting steadily more and more aggravated, and I just couldn't figure out what was causing it. I had thought maybe it was his bunk or something - maybe it was uncomfortable, preventing him from getting a decent night's sleep, but now I knew he slept like a baby. So I thought maybe it was his break up with Nikki Benz, but I overheard him telling Jake he was fine. Vampires could sense emotional vulnerability, and I sensed none in him: so I knew he was telling the truth there. And I had no other ideas as to why his mood would be turning so sour.

"Is it just me..." Jinxx trailed off: "Or did the whole...bad feeling...get worse when Ashley barged past you?"

Now he mentions it... I thought: "No. It wasn't just you. " I replied aloud, my tone grim: "Something is very wrong with Ashley. And if it's creating this impending sense of...of doom, then..."

"Something will need to be done." Jinxx breathed, sounding resigned.

My own response was much darker: "Something will need to be done."