Chapter 1- Track Meet

Connor-

I line up for my final lap thinking about how close to winning the state track race I am. This will be my third time. I think I'm ready. Sean and Stephan on the bleachers watching me, pretending they're not nervous, when they are, because my college future rests in the hands of this race. Their girlfriends sitting with them. Sean had a messy break up before Melanie, and Stephan finally asked out Katrina after much persuasion from Sean and me he finally did it and now he's happily in a relationship. Leaving me single. But that's okay. If that South Side University of Kentucky scout would just get out of my peripheral I'd be fine. I have offers of four years at South Side U if I take on a few other sports other than just track. This is the only thing holding that scholarship out of reach. This race could make it or break it for me.

I'm already the fastest high school runner in the state, but still, this race was going to be difficult. My competition would be competing for the same scholarship as I am. If I win, scholarship is mine as well as the state title for the third year running. Will running actually be enough this time?

Out of the corner of my eye I see someone in the crowd who I never took for sporty. Lorrie Scott, the science genius from my class. She never seemed interested in sports. Yet here she is at my last race, given her nose is buried in a book, but still she's walking the bleachers her mind seemingly elsewhere. I'd never seen her anywhere other than the library, where she seems to frequent, and our science class. What is she doing at the event if she's not even going to watch? She looks up and looks around unsure of her surroundings before she looks back to her book and continues up the bleachers.

"Runners, take your marks!" The announcer calls. My focus immediately drifts back to the race my gaze locks on the track in front of me. I ready myself to run. Lorrie settles into the last empty row of bleachers. "Ready. Set! RUN!" I shoot off as fast as I can when the flag dropped and kept the far lead of my competition.

'Come on man. 10 more yards. 9 more. 8. 7. 6.' I encourage myself counting the yards left before I reach the finish. Lorrie comes back into view. 'Focus man focus!' I scold myself as get closer. '6 more steps!'

I won. My friends go crazy in the bleachers and I just shake my head sweat probably spraying everywhere, but I don't really care. I slow my running and take a few deep breaths. I made it all the way. Now, I'm just exhausted. I head to my coach who waits for me with a bottle of water and a slap on the back.

"The winner Mr. Connor Adams from Roxford High!" The announcer calls as Sean and Stephan jump the fence earning a few disapproving glances from parents and teachers. The high-five me and slap me on the back while I continue to try to catch my breath and breath normally. Congratulations come from everywhere. My competition congratulate me and I smile and return the complement. I wonder off to see if I can't fine Lorrie.

"Man, Connor, you were amazing. Like a cheetah." Sean says before heading off after his girlfriend.

"You were great man." Stephan says heading back to Katrina, Sean, and Melanie.

Recruits from different colleges were waiting to talk to me and my coach when Stephan and Sean leave they quickly swarm me. "Connor, we'd love to have you in our uniform in two years, what do you say?" The South Side U recruit asks.

"I'd like that too sir." I tell him politely, "It's an honor to have you all here."

"How long have you been running son?" Another recruit asks.

"Since Kindergarten sir." I answer. "My father used to take me out with him." Memories of simpler times flash through my head remembering the Saturday morning runs.

"Remember son, you can out run a human, but never try to out run yourself or your problems. Face them head on." His words of wisdom from our last run together still lingers in my mind. Before he became so absorbed by his job. I'm proud of him, but I miss him.

"Well Connor, be ready for some challenges in a few years." The  recruit answers before walking away scribbling furiously on his clipboard. I look up with a smile. More people come to congratulate me and tell me I did a good job. I thank them, but as soon as I notice Lorrie I can tell she's been keeping her distance as she watches me. She flashes me a quick smile before disappearing toward the carpool loop as if she was trying to vanish. She politely answers anyone that speaks, but she still slips away by the wall, blocking her from sight. And she's alone.