three

"you're up early." my mother's voice spoke from the kitchen table and i shrugged. "haven't fixed my sleeping schedule yet." 

"you should work on the then." she nudged me softly and i faked a smile. 

today was sunday, my only relaxing day as my parents were both home and it was like a family day. unless one of them got called in.

"what time is he going to be home?" i asked quietly and she tensed. "late, but we can hang out today then."

i nodded, trying to find a little bit of excitment in it but it was pointless. "i'll be ready in fifteen, eat something."

i walked over to the pantry and pulled out cinnamon toast crunch and a bowl. my mother had finished cleaning and walked upstairs to change. i grabbed the milk from the fridge and added a decent amount and putting it back, grabbing a spoon and sitting down at the table.

i ate my food quietly, scraping my spoon against the side to get the extra cereal when i heard foosteps walking downstairs. "ready?"

i nodded and put my bowl in the sink. i watched as she grabbed the keys and her purse before we made our way outside. i walked around to the passenger seat and got inside, immediantly buckling up so i didn't get scolded. "do we have to take the police car?"

"yes." my mom smiled at me and started the car. "we have to drive in style."

"you didn't say that and this never happened." i quickly placed my hands over my ears but she slapped them away and pulled out of the driveway chuckling.

we had reached the mall around fifteen minutes later, moving through countless stores till our hands started to hurt from all the bags. "lunch?"

"panda?" i questioned curiously and she rolled her eyes but nodded none of the less. 

we made our way to the foor court and i rushed us a little when seeing jack walk passed us. he stopped in his tracks and walked over to us. and of course, like all moms would, they wanted to know exactly how their last six years of their life was doing. 

"hi sweety! you've gotten so big." she grinned and i groaned quietly, but enough for jack to look over at me with curious eyes. "it's nice to see you too mrs. hood."

"i don't remember the last time you came over." my mother tapped her finger on her chin and my eyes widened. before i could say anything she had already said my least favorite words. "oh! why don't you and your family come over tonight? i'm making my special dinner."

"joy!" my mother stopped talking and she started running to what looked like jack's mom. i stood there awkardly as they chatted up. the last things i heard were 'i'll see you at seven sharp tonight!"

"see you at seven." jack smiled at me and started walking away after giving my mother a hug and a 'nice to see you again'. 

"i'm bringing michael." i deadpanned as we waited in line for our food. i glanced at the items before speaking. "orange chicken, no, yes, thank you."

after we had gotten our food we sat down a table closest towards the doors because we were leaving after this despite my mother's protests. i ate my food quietly as she rambled about tonight.

as soon as we were both done we left and made our way back home. i made sure to slam the car door, ignoring the scold for it. "don't get an attitude tonight and go freshen up!" she encouraged and i rolled my eyes but nodded.

i  disappeared up the stairs and closed my door behind me, stripping out of my clothes and stepping insidethe bathroom. i turned the shower on a decent tempature and waited before stepping in.

that is until someone pulled the shower curtain back. i shrieked, relaxing when seeing it was just michael stepping in. "why are you joining me exactly?"

"parents didn't pay the water bill." he shrugged and pushed my chest softly so i moved out of the way. he soaked his hair in the water and grabbed the shampoo bottole. "you couldn't wait till i finished mine first?"

"then all the hot water would be gone." he turned his head over his shoulder and pouted before going back to wash his hair. i waited for him to be finished, leaning against the shower wall. to others it would be weird seeing a sixteen year old and an eighteen year old showering, but i didn't even bother lowering my eyes below his chest. 

once michael was done we switched places and i washed myself, not bothering with my hair because i had washed it yesterday already. after we were both rinsed off i stepped out first, wrapping a towel around my waist and handing one to michael. 

i dryed myself off completly, michael ruffling his hair a bit as i put on the same clothes i had on before. 

"i'll be right back" michael tightened the towel around his waist and walked over to the balcony doors, hopping over to his own and disappearing into his room to grab some clothes. once he came back in a band t-shirt and sweatpants, he sat down on the bed and stretched quietly.

there was a knock at the door that made me jump. "who's that?"

"jack." i whispered and michael's eyes widened. "why the fuck is he here?"

"my mom invitied him and his family for dinner tonight. you know how the 'it's been ages!' goes." i mumbled and michael looked down at himself. "should i change?"

i shrugged and michael dug through my drawers and changed into some black jeans and a white button up. "i've been looking for this."

"calum! come down!" 

i gave a small smile to michael before tugging him with me down the stairs.

and much to say, it was the most awkward dinner i had ever had.

especially the part where jack said he was a hundred dollars short on his allowance. 

+

"what time is it?" michael sniffled softly and i paused season two and looked over at the clock. "2:54a.m."

"turn it off, it's sad." michael wiped under his eyes again and i got up and flicked off the wii. we had been watching orange is the new black since it was supposed to be good. i made my way back over to michael and let him snuggle into me. "none of them deserved that."

"i know." i cooed and rubbing circles into michael's back knowing it helped him fall asleep. "we need to be up in three hours though."

michael nodded his head, letting out a small breath before relaxing into my arms. once i heard the snored i knew he had fallen asleep.

i pressed my chin against the top of my head, shutting my own eyes but then opening them. my thoughts were trained on the box under the bed, the things we had stolen and I knew i would be dead if my parents ever found it.

how do you explain cigarettes and a hundred dollar bill hidden in a box under the bed?

i sighed and knew i was going to have to figure something out. or maybe just stop stealing all together.