Chapter Three: War

Lucy's POV:

"Lu-chan~!"

Distinctly, I look back with a defensive stance to see Levy running down the hall, a smile plastered onto her face.

"Levy..." I muttered shocked.

"Lu-chan! Where have you been these past couple weeks?! I haven't seen you around."

Immediately I felt guilty, I'd forgotten about most of my friends that were here alongside me.

A smile slowly made its way onto my face, I couldn't help it seeing hers; her smile was almost contagious.

"Levy-chan.." I paused with a simple laugh, "I'm sorry, really, I haven't been out much."

"No, no it's okay! Really, I just missed seeing you up and about." She said scratching the back of her neck, snickering.

I felt sympathetic, I left her alone and neglected her -  along with Juvia. I'm glad Erza spoke with me about this.

"No, it's not okay Levy! Come on, let's try and hang out?"

"I'd love to but Gajeel and I have to start training in a bit!" I couldn't stop the smirk that made its way onto my face.

Her cheeks immediately heated up, "Sh-Shut up Lu-chan! We're just training!!"

"I see." I answer turning my back and continuing to my room, "Stay safe."

"Bye Lu-chan.." She murmurs through her embarrassment.

'Still the timid Levy, huh? Well it was only two weeks that I avoided them - it's not like they were gonna change a lot. Unlike me...'

Levy's POV:

I watched Lucy's retreating form get darker and darker by the minute, until she was out of sight.

It was just a little surreal, first she's the second strongest Vampire Slayer and now she's the Princess - a Pureblood?

I heaved a sigh as I tried to push the thoughts away. I quickly twirled on my heel and headed down to the main entrance of the kingdom. We weren't that far away considering her room was apart of the main building - including the rest of ours.

I allowed my thoughts to swarm as I began walking. I wondered mostly about Lu-chan. We were really close before all of this, I wonder what made her so distant.. I hope we hadn't done anything wrong...

I came to an abrupt stop as I heard distant cackling. Like the stereotypical witch laugh from those old children, horror movies. It made me feel tense as the sudden noise got closer. A sweet smell filled my nostrils, slowly changing into what smelt like medicine. Suddenly, the feeling of being watched crawled it's way under my skin until I finally turned.

There was absolutely nothing.

A look of confusion mixed with shock made its way onto my face. Then a look of horror once I noticed I bumped into something. I let out a slight screech until I felt someone's hand on my mouth, stopping the blood-piercing noise.

"Jeez, shrimp! Relax, it's just me Gajeel." Gajeel's voice gave me relief. I couldn't help but laugh away all my irrelevant worries.

"Gajeel! Thank heaven.. I swear someone else was here.." I muttered my mind still adjusting to the sudden relief.

He gave me a worrying look, "What'd you see?"

"It's not what I saw, but heard."

He raised an eyebrow, "Cackling.." I replied with uncertainty.

"Cackling? You sure that wasn't Salamander being a bitch? I mean he could be trying to just scare 'ya." He snickered but I just glared.

"No Gajeel, it sounded more female then male."

His snickering came to a stop, "So you're sure you heard cackling?"

"Yeah Gajeel, I think it's hard to miss in such a quiet and narrow hallway."

My body suddenly became very light, I felt like I couldn't help myself up. I began swaying side to side before the feeling of needles filled my senses.

He had a glint of panic in his eyes, his hand went to my wrist dragging me along with him down the stairs. A rush of panic surged through my veins, only making the needle sensation worse.

"G-Gajeel, is there something I should be worried about?!" I asked, he gave no reply.

My blood ran cold once I heard the same cackling from before repeat from above us, the laughter went on, and on, and on, as if it were a cycle. My head began pounding, the simultaneous pain making me feel weak.

"Levy! You are going to run, very quickly, report to Dragneel's father and don't look back!" My anxiety started to build up at his sudden order.

I quickly nodded, running down the stairs. I came to a swift stop, almost tripping as I headed for Natsu's fathers door.

Incoherent voices came from behind them, indicating there was probably a meeting going on. Dammit, I had to listen to Gajeel! What if he got hurt?!

At the same time I began worrying for myself, I felt my movements stiffen and black spots covered my sight.

Without a second thought I bursted through the doors, "What the hell?!" His father boomed at my sudden entrance, Natsu just stood shocked.

"H-Help!" Was all I could say before black dots covered my sight, weight lifted from my body until I was trapped in nothing but darkness.