Chapter 13 talking shit in court

No point of view, mainly dialogue.

"Alright," Randy paused before the doors of the courtroom and looked to Sharon. "We have to make a pact. We can't say that we knew about any of this. I know it's wrong, I know it's illegal, but any other way and we lose our son. He won't have anywhere to go after this. He will be taken way, quite possibly far away from here. I already hear him at night talking to himself about how all this change is hurting him. Hell, the things that he's said directly to me when he didn't realize are scary beyond belief. I know this will hurt him bad. Our son cries, Sharon. I've never seen him cry this hard in another period of time. For his sake, we have to lie. I know it will feel wrong, but they would never understand if we told them what I'm telling you now. Make a promise that we won't say we knew. What happens after that, we will have to wait and see. Just try. Do it for our son. Do it for that little boy that has cried unknowingly to me about how everything is shit and how it's hardly worth living through it."

Sharon nodded in agreement. A look of fear grew in her face. She tried to hide it as they both walked through the court doors. The room was silent. Fear ran through their bodies the more they thought about their son and what could happen to him.

"Randy," the judge began. "I understand you have custody of Stan?"

"Yes, your honor." Randy nodded.

"And so it was in your home where he could have accessed the alcohol?"

"Yes, your honor."

"I have a question for you. Are you dealing with alcoholism and or have a past with alcoholism?"

Randy began to sweat nervously. "I wouldn't call myself an alcoholic, I do have a drink every so often."

The judge looked at his papers that were neatly organized before him.
"This record says you've had to pay community service for actions committed under the influence of alcohol before. One that concerns me is 'driving under the influence with children in the car'"

"That was long ago, your honor." Randy bit the inside of his mouth, trying to mask his nerves in the present moment.

"It doesn't matter how long ago it's been. Does your son look up to you?"

"I don't know. He's never appeared to look up to me. I can't answer for him though."

"Are you aware that your past with alcohol could have been a strong influence on your son that possibly has lead up to now?"

"Your honor, with all due respect, my son told us he began drinking after he'd been signed up to a false Aspergers coinciding circle. They only taught him to drink away his problems. That's where this all started."

The judge stopped for a moment, thought about it, and continued.

"I see, and who was the one who signed him up for this group without looking further into it?"

Nobody spoke. Sharon hesitated.

"I did, your honor." She admitted. "Though in my defense, I spoke to them and asked them how they were going to talk to him, what kind of exercises they would be doing, how it's been helpful to others, you know. All the information I received turned out to be false. I wasn't aware until much later."

The judge looked unhappy.
"So you were aware of your sons drinking problem and still let it happen?"

"No, your honor. I mean I only found out while Stanley was sent into the hospital." Sharon lied. She tried to cover it. The judge bought it.

"I understand. And what about you Randy?" The judge panned his vision over to Randy.

Randy cleared his throat. "Yes, your honor."

"You haven't noticed any odd disappearance of alcohol in your home?"

Randy was making up his lies on the spot. It was all for Stan.
"No, your honor. See, I don't drink nearly as much as you may think I do. There has never been evidence. He hadn't even been living with me for very long before he went to the hospital."

The judge was hesitant. He took a few moments to think.
"Alright. I've made my decision."

Randy continued to sweat nervously. Sharon anxiously grounded her teeth. They were both praying for the best; that Stan would stay, he wouldn't be taken away, he could still have hope for his life and his happiness.

"Nothing will change," the judge stated.
"But I want Randy to keep all alcohol secure and out of reach from Stan."

Randy and Sharon both exhaled a sigh of relief. The case was closed and everyone cleared the court. Now the hardest part of this would be convincing Stan.