Chapter 9 - Freedom

I watch Luigi walks back & forth inside his jail. "Can you stop? My head just aches from watching you." He stops then sit on the bed. This place is no different with the white room. The only difference is you get to see real people here. "You said you're going to get me out of here. What time is the game? It’s supposed to start now."

"Yes, it's starting just right now. The game doesn't end within five minutes. Of course, you don't know that. Football has eaten up all your brain."

"How'd you even figure out the Celtics is going to win this one?"

"Because I know. You said you trust me. Now where is that trust?"

"I don't know... Maybe the trust died too." He looks away. I'm gonna get you out of this place, Luigi. Just freaking trust me. "I'll be back."

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to get you out of here. Like I promise." I vanish.

4th quarter of the game. My dad is still holding the letter. Is it possible he believes me? Come on, Celtics. Shoot! The ball is now with Lebron. That son of a bitch. He shoots the ball. 3 fuckin points. He's a monster. But he's a bitch for leaving Cavs behind. 103-101, in favor of Miami. Damn it! I need to get Luigi out of that sell. Lebron passes the ball to Dwight, and Dwight misses it! 10 seconds left. Come on! Come on! Come on! Rondo to steal, passes to Garnett, passes back to Rondo, Rondo to shoot. Moment of truth, yeah motherfucker! 3 motherfuckin points & its buzzer beater! Celtics wins the game. 104-103, like I said. My chest starts to ache again. This time the pain is so much worse than the first one. God, it hurts! Calestine appears. "Well done, 2 down & 8 more to go Bianca." I fall down on my knees. Damn, my chest is aching so much! "Wait til Dad calls Mom. That makes me 3 down & 7 to go." "Good luck, Bianca." I don't need luck. I need life. Calestine disappears. Dad calls Officer Vargas & tells him to release Luigi. Thank you, Dad. Now, call mom. Tell her the good news. He dials Mom's number. "I'm sorry if I acted like an ass. It's just hard for me to accept that Sweet Pea's gone. I need you & I don't want to lose you too. I know she's not coming back home but I know she's just around watching us. Come home, honey. I miss you." I hug my dad. I knew he would believe me. I love you, daddy.

And we're back at Luigi's room. "You happy now?" He's brushing his teeth. He winks at me. I admit, I might have a little crush on this asswipe.

We've been on the same class almost every year & semester. How come I didn't notice him? He's a bully, way back in 6th grade. He always picks small kids with glasses. He hates nerds & geeks. Maybe he hated them because they ate up his brains and he's insecure or something. Everything changes when Faye turned him down. Yes, Faye my best friend. It was junior year; he asked Faye if she wanted to be his date on Homecoming. He prepared a big ask and when I say big ask it means you have to prep something extravagant or extraordinary plan, scenario or momentum for that big question. I remember that day & it was so embarrassing. You see, Faye can be bitchy sometimes because she's very candid & she doesn't care about anybody else's feelings besides me & my family. That’s why I love her, she cares for me & for the people I love. The only exemption she made was Trev. But anyway, back to the big ask. Luigi gathered all the juniors & seniors at the auditorium & there he did the big ask. On his knees he asked my best friend. I'm sure you all know where this has headed. Yes, she turned him down with those entire crowds. Poor Luigi.

"Bianca, I'm going to sleep now. Do you wanna share bed? I don't mind." He grins at me. See? That's why Faye turned him down. He's a dick. "No. You can have it all." He turns the light off. "You know, I should've asked you instead of your best friend." And now he thinks I'm a freaking rebound. "I have a boyfriend. And there's no way I'm gonna choose you over Trev. You're hot but you're just a god damn douche." I smile and wink at him. "Goodnight, Guadagnino. I don't want to thank you yet coz we have plenty of lists to do." He smiles back at me. "See you in the morning, Biancs." He calls me Biancs. No one has ever called me Biancs. It feels good. I don't know why, but it feels so good.