35: The Encounter

"Ready to be an average student?" Kyle asked jokingly as we got out of the car.

I shrugged. "I've been doing it my whole life. Except, like, a billionaire average student."

Kyle smirked. "I'm guessing that's a no."

I turned to him with a serious face. "Would you rather I be normal?"

"What? No, I—" Kyle looked shocked, something I don't see quite often.

"Then I'm perfectly fine being my weird self." I told him, and he shook his head. He loosely put his arms around me and his hand on my hip, and I gently leaned into him as he placed a kiss on my head. 

"Ever notice how much PDA we do?" I murmured.

"We can't help it because we're so in loove," Kyle said, and I cringed at the way he accentuated the word love.

"Don't say it that way ever again." I groaned, and Kyle let out a throaty laugh.

"Hey, are you saying we're not?" He whined, and I replied by sticking my tongue out and grinning at him before throwing my bag over my shoulder and skipping away.

Classes progressed as normal, but by the hour before lunch everything flipped around. Kyle got a phone call and when he answered, his face lit up and became focused tenfold.

"What happened?" I asked urgently.

"People from the Office just called me saying they might have found a major lead, I need to head there immediately."

Kyle's face was lit up, energized, and I knew this was how he was at work, doing a case. He loved it so much, and I understood what Brook meant by he was obsessed with his job. But it wasn't time to think about that.

"I'll go with you." I said, but Kyle shook his head quickly.

"I got another officer heading this way, you have to stay here. It isn't your job to be working this case, it's to go to your classes and live your life as normally as you can."

I sighed. It was tiring to be told I had to stay out of my own business.

When my temporary bodyguard arrived, Kyle left in a hurry and left me standing at the school gate, feeling defeated. I glanced up at the new officer, wearing relatively casual clothes but definitely not a high school student. 

"Hi, I'm Cass." I introduced myself, trying to be polite.

He smirked. "I know. I've met you several times when we were investigating at the Office."

I flushed scarlet. "Sorry..."

"No, it's fine. I'm Dylan." 

"Not to be rude but...you're not planning to come to my classes, are you?"

Dylan laughed. "No, of course not. I'm here as a school inspector, and I'll be keeping tabs on you."

I nodded. "Well, thank you. I have to get to class now..." I said, waving to the direction of my classroom awkwardly.

"Please. Go ahead." He said, smiling, and I turned around and tried to walk to my class as casually as possible. 

Class was even more boring with Kyle gone, and I doodled away on my notebooks. I kept on looking up at the clocks, waiting for when I could get back to the Office. Or even until lunch. I had to actually eat well today.

After an eternity seemed to pass, finally class let out for lunch and I grabbed some food from the lunch line and I made my way to a nice, in-door place to eat and read when a familiar voice called my name.