48: General's Office

My opponent was getting tired, I could see it in the way she didn't keep her arms up anymore, and her jabs were slowing. I got her in the face, and she staggered. Her breathing was basically a gasp, and sweat dripped off both of us. I felt energized. This was the first time I was winning so easily, and it felt good. I was about to ram into her as a final blow, but an announcement stopped me mid-stride.

"Team A-6, please report to General Vaughn's office." I looked around, confused, as excited chatter burst among the trainees, especially from my fellow team A members. I warily looked at my opponent, a newbie from team G, who was looking up to the ceiling as if the announcement had been God's voice. 

"Good match." I called to her, and she gave me a small, slightly intimidated nod as I jumped off the raised fighting mats.

Niko passed me a towel, and I patted down my face and looped it around my neck.

"Good job. You were killing that girl. She looked like she just wanted to be knocked out so the hell would be over." Niko gave his winning smile with a wicked tint in his eyes.

I couldn't laugh. I sympathized with how scared and overwhelmed she might be at this moment. "She kept going though. Good for her."

Niko looked at me for a second and shook his head. "You're no fun."

I chuckled. "So why are we going to the General's office?"

"I'm not quite sure myself. I think we're being assigned to go on a mission, but I could be wrong."

I whipped my head to face him. "A mission? Like an actual one?"

Niko shrugged. "We've had some before."

Sensing my discomfort, he put his arms around my shoulders. "Ease up. You're going to be fine."

When we got to General Vaughn's Office, all of my team mates were already there, on their toes with excitement. The General nodded officially as some officers closed the door as they left. Niko and I took the last two chairs and looked up at the towering man in his seat.

I'd seen the General around, but never in person. He looked older up close, with thinning gray hair and wrinkles, but his dark brown eyes held wisdom and power that reflected the way he held himself.

"Thank you for joining me today," General Vaughn started, his voice higher than I expected coming from such a scary-looking man. "We are very proud of what you all, the most capable of our militia, can contribute to the Shadow Legion."

Trevor looked like he wanted to make an inappropriate comment, but Julianna stopped him with a look.

"I'm sure you all are wondering why I asked you here today. I'm also sure you've guessed the reason already, if you have the true wits team A promises."

The General paused dramatically, and my team mates leaned in, their breaths held in anticipation. Half of me fought the creeping eye roll, but the other half of me was getting sucked up in the vacuum of the baited breath. 

"Due to recent predicaments," General Vaughn's eyes flicked to my direction, "we have withheld more dangerous assignments from our trainees. However, we consider team A to be equally qualified, if not beyond qualified to our men who have already completed training. Although your team is not set to graduate for another semester, we are confident enough in the strength of your team to successfully handle a mission."

Julianna and Niko broke out in a grin, and Trevor pumped his fist in the air. Even Lei seemed excited, and Sandy pushed up his glasses, ready for a challenge. General Vaughn seemed pleased with the positive response, and I did my best to be excited as well. But the truth was, I was horrified. As difficult as the past few months had been, I knew I wasn't going to be seriously harmed here. The Shadow Legion couldn't afford it. But... outside, where actual enemies who seriously want me dead could get their hands on me... that was a completely different situation.