52: Random Checks

"I think that's it for today." Niko said, as we glanced up at the clock to see it was already 8 pm. We had been holed up in our training room all day, working out the small details of the mission so we could concentrate on running through our plan and various backup plans in action. The room was cluttered with paper and various plates that had previously held food brought to us by the cafeteria workers of the Legion.

Sandy was responsible dealing with any and all mechanical aspects of the mission. He would navigate the submarine all the way to Ni'ihau, open the escape chamber a mile off shore, and wait in the submarine during our mission.  He would tell us our coordinates and any incoming targets from his position in the submarine, and re-open the chamber in time for our escape. 

We decided to split up in two groups of Julianna and Trevor as one group and Lei, Niko, and me in the other. The mission was simple enough, but I knew covering ground in the real thing was going to be challenging, with so many guards on post. We only had a week left before we left for our mission, and the tension and excitement of our group was rising 

We quickly packed up our things, and I hated how I had another two hours of studying my own materials when I got back. But Aunt Helen had told me that I couldn't let anything get in the way of my own personal growth.

I heaved what personal belongings I had brought and picked up my phone at the door of the classified section, as phones and personal electronics weren't allowed in that area. I took the elevator back up to my room, and collapsed onto my bed to take a quick 20 minute power nap. I woke up and chugged a Red Bull just as my tutor walked in. 

I was on the brink of falling asleep every ten minutes, but my tutor took pity on me and gave me problems that were more review of the previous night's work, as I had been equally exhausted then as well. By the time the two hours were over, I felt spent and only slightly more intelligent.

I took a quick shower and changed into shorts and a sweatshirt, and tried falling asleep. But my mind was swarming with the mission and calculus that I felt more solace with my eyes open than closed. Just as I was about to give up and read, my phone started ringing.

I picked it up, my voice alert. "Hello?"

"Good, I knew you were up. Want to blow off steam?" It was Niko, and he didn't have to ask twice. I changed into shorts and a tank top before heading downstairs to meet up with him by the trainee residential area.

"Insomnia haunting you too?" I asked Niko, leaning against the wall with his hand on his neck.

"I want to sleep so badly, but I can't stop thinking. I felt like we needed to do something fun."

I laughed. "Yes. I agree."

"I have an idea." He said, and he took my hand and started running up the stairs. Panting, we reached the seventh floor, and he led me to a terrace that I didn't even know existed. From there, there was a jumping board that led into the natural outdoor pools. I'd never actually swam in there, much less jumped in from 60 feet in the air.

"No way we're doing this." I said.

"Yes way."

"But—holy fuck it's so high."

"Hey, you've done shit so much scarier than this, this should be a piece of cake. Just make sure to fall straight down or else you will have the worst belly flop of your life." 

It wasn't like I had a fear of heights, but being so high up and thinking of falling from it would scare most anyone. Except Niko, clearly. He was already stripping off his shirt and sweatpants, and showing off his abs in all his boxer-brief glory.