18: The Legion

My eyes slowly opened, and the first thing I realized was that my head felt like someone was ramming a hammer into it constantly.  My eyes slowly adjusted to the dim light, and I lifted my head.  My neck ached.  There was one small light bulb hanging from the ceiling, and I squinted at the sudden brightness.  I looked around, trying to sit up, but then I realized my hands were tied behind me with a thick rope.  I started to scream, but the sound was muffled because of the tape plastered on my face.

My eyes widened.  I didn't exactly know what was going on, I couldn't remember exactly what had happened, but I knew I wasn't safe.  I tried taking a deep breath through my nose, and closed my eyes for a few seconds.  Once I managed to calm my heart rate which had spiked up, I looked around my surroundings. I was in a small enclosed space with no windows or doors, and it was maybe the size of a small bathroom.  The walls were made of concrete, with a low ceiling, maybe seven feet high, and there didn't seem to be any means of escape.  

But I had to have entered somewhere.  My best guess was that there was a door behind me, most probably locked.  The wooden chair I was sitting on creaked as I tried shifting my weight around to slip out of the rope.  No such luck.  The rope tied me to the chair by my waist, along with my wrists being tied back behind the chair, and my ankles tied to the legs of the chair.  

I whimpered in fear as I continuously tried ramming my hand out of the rope.  My wrists started getting rope burns, but I ignored them and continued on with my futile attempts of escape.

Then I heard footsteps, and I stopped what I was doing, and held my breath.  I put my head down and closed my eyes, willing my heart rate to return to its normal pace.  The footsteps started getting louder, and with the sounds I guessed there were two people.

"Do you think she's awake yet?" A man's voice said, sounding scrawny and slightly intimidated.

"Most definitely." A woman's voice sounded, echoing off the walls in an authorative tone.

I heard a key being jammed into the door behind me, and a soft squeal of the hinges sounded like bells tolling from inside my head.

"She's still asleep!" The man's voice said, and my heart rate spiked up so much that I swore they would be able to hear it.

"It can't be." The woman said, and she moved closer to me and tapped her finger against my chin.  Her fingers were cold and her nails sharp, as they slowly pushed my chin up to face her.  I kept my eyes closed and maintained a slow, equal breathing.

"They may have given her too much of that Ketamine drug.  She's quite skinny."

The woman huffed.  "That's not possible.  I ordered Dave and that stupid Jack—"

"John." The man corrected, but she ignored him and removed her fingers from under my chin.

"—to use one-fifth of the usual dosage so she wouldn't forget anything....important." The woman said her last word in such a cool tone that it send a shiver down my back.

"Well, she's still asleep, ma'am."

"I can see that." The woman snapped, "but she should have been awake twenty minutes ago.  Something is wrong." 

"Like I said, maybe the Ketamine was—" The man started, but the woman ignored him again.

"If Dave messed this up again, I am going to kill him myself." She declared in an icy tone.

"Well, I'm sure this Heywood girl will wake up in no time." The man said hastily, and I guessed that he was friends with this Dave person.

The woman huffed quietly.  "We'll come check on her in another half hour." And with that her footsteps started heading to the door behind me.  The man's footsteps followed close behind, and after a few minutes and I knew they weren't coming back, I let out a breath of relief.  I closed my eyes tightly and forced myself not to panic.