25: Nightmare

I woke up with a warm feeling swelling through my chest. My eyes blinked open and I turned over, only to realize there was another person next to me. Kyle's arm was wrapped around me, holding me by my waist, as he stirred in his sleep. He wrapped his arm tighter around me in his half-asleep haze, and my heart beat so quickly I thought it was going to jump out of my ribs.

But I wanted to cherish this moment, so I turned my back to him, letting his arm be like a protective blanket, as I wrapped my hands with his. I pushed my back towards his body, and I couldn't help but realize that our bodies seemed to fit so perfectly, like two puzzle pieces matched together. Kyle's slow rise and fall of his chest and steady breathing was enough to make me feel like I was turning into goo.

My eyes were starting to droop again, despite the morning sun streaming in from the windows and the busy streets outside coming alive with people attending their businesses. 

But just then, Kyle's bedroom door opened, where Mikey and Brook stood. Mikey's gaped at us as he saw what was in front of him.

"Wow, you really do move fast, Kyle." He commented, Kyle groaning beside me.  My cheeks flushed bright red as he sat up, scratching his eyes.

"You're not one to sleep in, Kyle. Must have been one wild night." Brook grinned, shooting a discrete wink at me. My face must have resembled a tomato by now.

 "What time is it?" Kyle grumbled. 

"9:30. Time to get going." Mikey said, and Kyle ran a hand through his hair. 

"How'd I sleep for so long?"

Kyle glanced back at me, our eyes meeting for a brief second. Electricity seemed to shoot through me at the non-physical contact, but Kyle jumped off the bed without a word to me. Was everything going to be awkward now? Was he going to pretend nothing happened between us.

Well, nothing did happen between us, we just slept together.

But not in that way!

God, this was going to be an awkward day...

* * * * *

Thankfully—and also unfortunately—Kyle and I were both too busy to talk to each other. My mom came to The Office, dropping off a huge bag of clothes and things I would need, and Brook got me my key to my temporary room. Then she went off with Kyle and Mikey to discuss the mission in a separate room.

I strolled inside my temporary room, where I would probably stay for a week or two. It was across the hall from Kyle's room, and the exact same design as well. The same kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom, but somehow this room felt so much more small and closed, and I found it hard to breathe in the space. I quickly put my clothes in the closet and toiletries in the bathroom, and got out.   

I was walking absent-mindedly through The Office, in the places where I was allowed to be. I walked into The Lounge, and stared at the huge screen on the wall display the movie How to Train Your Dragon. But even though the movie was brilliant, I found myself felling closed in again, but this time the walls were crumbling and they were caving in on me.

I took a deep breath, running my hands down my face. I wanted to have something to do, so I could somehow not think for a while. I didn't even know why I was feeling so anxious and stressed, but it kept on bubbling up to the surface and I thought I was going to go insane.

Just then, a man in a suit walked into The Lounge with a searching expression on his face. Then when he saw me, he looked relieved.

"Cassandra, we have some things to discuss."